Shooting a kitchen without a lot of lighting equipment part 2

To all who answered my previous post - thanks for the info - I did manage to get more details:

The kitchen is small - approx. 100 Sq. feet - and there is one wall that is all windows, so sounds there is a lot of

natural light coming in. The person wants some shots in daylight as well as night time.

I don't own light boxes, strobes, etc., as this is not normally what I do. So if I can get away with a wide angle lens,

my 40D and my 580EX (I also have a stofen Omnibounce, a bounce card) and a Stroboframe camera Flip camera

attachment for my flash, that would be great.

any thoughts?

Here are examples of the kitchen I'm trying to shoot - see my comments above. Just so you know, I did not take

these, and the shots here are at night.<div>00REWd-81089584.jpg.bd64fba547bb7164fde5b1b97384ab3d.jpg</div>

Just put your camera on a tripod and use a remote or cable release shutter. You can also raise up the ISO but it would bring noise in pictures, so best way for low light is using a tripod. Id there is enough light like the upper posted images, than no problem if you don't have lighting equips, as you you won;t need those for a true light shot which would look way better than a flash shot.

There's a couple things to do. First, turn on all the lights you can to make your camera happier. Use soft/frosted bulbs if you can. If you try the flash, get it OFF the camera. Use a PC sync or TTL cable and have it off to the side. For example, on the second picture, I'd have it off to the right pointing in a bit, but be sure you don't get reflections off the wall. Use bare walls as diffused reflections. Dial it down a stop or two and you'll have as much of a natural feeling as it'll let you have. Diffuse it or just pull out the 580's built-in wide angle diffuser. Pay attention to white balance, as flash light is fairly cool. I usually end up warming up the image a bit even after taking it with the white balance set to flash.

If you have a tripod, there are a couple other options: take longer exposures, take multiple exposures and blend them (make sure one is properly exposed for the outside view), or research HDR.

The tan walls are not what the designer intended so you need some supplimental light. It can be incandescent and you can paint with it.

Make two exposures, one for the city, one for the inside. Combine in photoshop. WB need not be the same. Just do not move the camera. They need not be at the same time.

PTLens will get the bent lines out. Lens fix on earlier Macs before 10.5.2.

It's a beautiful kitchen. I know you didn't take these shots but they are terribly out of focus. Also when you shoot it remove things like the space heater and the crap on top of the fridge.

There is no need to take two shots and do a composit. Sorry Ronald lol.

You can properly balance the ambient window scene day or night with inside fill or key flash. There are lot's of places to hide a remote flash or strobe in this scene. If you are using off camera flash just put it up on top or in an open cabinet (behind your shooting position) and bounce off the white ceiling. Use M mode on the camera and the flash so you can balance the exposure. Maybe gel that flash if the lights are tungsten/halogen. If they are white flourescent dont' bother. Use AWB and shoot raw + jpeg.

Simple.

I had a similar shots that I had to do of some new lofts. I had a similar shoot with some interesting issues. I had to shoot some

lofts that were nearly complete but there was no power going to them and I wanted to show the view. A photographer before me

had shot them but had blown out the details of the window. I had to run extension cords from the outside to the strobes.

<br>

I first did a meter reading of the windows so set my exposure then I set up 3 <a

href="http://www.geocities.com/stalker+of+the+web/norman.html" target="_blank">Norman ML600R</a> and a pocket wizard to

trip them I bounced the lights off the ceiling, and set their out put to match the ambient light of windows. This way I <a

href="http://www.geocities.com/stalker+of+the+web/dragging.html" target="_blank">Balanced lighting</a> and still held details of

the view.