Camera Card Virus?!?

d_truong

Hi, I work at my local grocery store as a electronics clerk. Lately I've been getting reports that people are

losing their picture to camera card viruses that either corrupts, deletes or even renders the card useless. I

believe such a virus exist, but I have been wrong before. I think it is people either neglecting their cards by

either abuse or accidental damage. That or they got a defective or worn out card that simply pooped out on them.

How about you guys? Have any of you encountered an actual virus of this nature?

There have been some virus versions that attack image files (jpeg I think) or masquerade as images... there's no reason why one of those might not easily piggy-back onto a memory card - and since most viruses affect the storage volume, then yes, it might wipe a card and the files on it. I doubt that it's going to have any impact on a camera's operating space (yet), but that could change... cell phones and pda's have become vulnerable... give the hackers time, they'll be into cameras too.

Not on my machines - I run a firewall/anti-virus and malware (spyware) protection. Searching on Google for "Virus, Camera" and browse the results - cards can become infected from an infected machine with ANY virus, not just those designed to hit picture files. After all, a card is just another external device and if your machine is infected, chances are that your cards will be infected as soon as you use them - as yet your camera appears to be safe but don't get complacent, get protected!

What Kevan said. Also, I always format the card in the camera, not in the computer, after uploading images. Good anti-virus software is a must, but it is easy to get paranoid about this stuff. Just look at all the bogus emails about viruses that destroy your hard drives, torch your car and make your first-born child disappear........

Remember: A computer worm, virus, or any other form of malware needs to execute on some sort of computing platform. Simply having the naughty bit of code sitting on a storage device (hard drive, memory card, etc) doesn't do anything. Such malicious code is designed to actually <i>run</i> on something - usually a widely used computer, but sometimes also on more narrowly used, specialty devices (phones, PDAs, etc).

<br><br>

I've not heard yet of a single virus or any other code that can actually execute within the operating system of the camera itself. The exception might be some utilities provided by the camera makers themselves (for diagnostics and upgrades).

<br><br>

So, if user formats their memory card IN their camera, takes pictures, and then takes that memory card to the minilab to have prints made... there's essentially no risk of problems.

<br><br>

But if the user mounts the card into a reader on their computer, or tethers the camera to the computer via a USB cable, something unpleasant running on the computer could impact the memory card's format and content.

<br><br>

But here's what I think is even more common and likely: someone connects the camera or the memory card (via a reader) to the computer, and then doesn't follow directions. They unplug/remove the storage without actually telling the computer they're done with it... and thus corrupt the file structure on the card. Or, they use the computer to delete all of the images on the card (or use the computer's formatting routine to "blank" the card), and don't realize that the next shots they take with the camera may be poortly written-to or stored on that card as a result. This can result in that "missing pictures" scenario. All because of bad user habits.

<br><br>

Users should ALWAYS use the camera's formatting routing to wipe the card clean, and should always use their computer's native routine for properly "ejecting" or un-docking a memory card, so that all open files are cleaned up and closed up properly.

<br><br>

A virus infected computer can certainly mess with any and all storage it connects to. But bad habits are a far more common problem. When in doubt, don't connect the card to the computer at all. Straight to the kiosk or minilab if you have reason to think your computer might be poisoned.

User error. It's highly unlikely you could put anything on a memory card which could execute in the environment of the camera and destroy images. It's FAR more likely someone did something stupid or it's a simple card failure (they do fail).

The card can't run it's own programs and the camera doesn't run any programs it finds on the card, so it's hard to see how a virus could operate in that environment. Even if it did it would have to be specific to a particular camera's firmware and operating system.

Matt wrote: "I've not heard yet of a single virus or any other code that can actually execute within the operating system of the camera itself. The exception might be some utilities provided by the camera makers themselves (for diagnostics and upgrades)."

And therein lies the Achilles heel. The fact is that cameras do check for certain executable files and execute them if they find them. One would only have to make a virus look like a firmware update. I won't suggest on list what could be done, because virus authors tend not to be the most creative of programmers and might not think of things if we don't suggest them. However, there's much that could be done to mess with our equipment and data.

I've heard rumors of viruses out there, but I've never encountered one or even heard of one from a reliable source. In truth, I think most of the hackers who write these things have targeted Microsoft OSs, because Microsoft boxes dominate the home computer market, because they revile Microsoft, and because targeting Windows boxes is the best approach for widespread theft of sensitive data. I doubt hackers really care about any camera manufacturer or expect to glean sensitive data from anyone's memory card, so I don't really expect to see camera OSs hacked anytime into the foreseeable future. I question the accuracy of these rumors.

The problem with that scenario is that there's no sort of binary compatibility frequently even between cameras of the same brand. In order for the virus to spread it would need to be able to execute on both cameras and PC's in order to spread. Besides as you pointed out it's much easier to just make a virus that runs under windows and ignore trying to hack-out a firmware format for every camera in existence. This is especially true with photo labs where the lab system gives the needed second link in the chain to spread. Each home PC could be spreading it to who knows how many labs by their cards, and each lab could spread it to an unholy number of new home PCs.