Is it worth keepting my old film gear?

ronald_smith2

I recently bought a Nikon D80, AF-S 16-85mm VR and SB-800 flash. The system works like a champ, I get incredible

flash images. My aging Canon EOS A2 bodies, EF 24-85mm and EF 70-200mm f/4L and 540EZ/550EX Speedlites are

sitting quietly. I have only shot a couple weddings in the last few years, they came out wonderfully thanks to

Pro 400 and Reala.

Canon's flash system is decent, works great with neg film, but Nikon's Creative Lighting System is certianly

deserving of all it hype.

I am in a dither as to whether I should keep the old film gear or try to sell it and add to my Nikon system.

I have kicked some tires to see if anyone is interested in the EOS system, no takers. I can easily sell the

70-200 L and maybe the Speedlite 550EX, but the rest of the stuff seems destined to be basically given away. It's

pointless to have a bunch of old film gear sitting around and unsellable. It just seems that it's too good of a

system to unload, there must be uses for it besides weddings but it has little value in today's digital world.

Selling it painfully slowly, I'd do well to break the $1000 mark.

I assume there must be some of you out there who are thinking of switching to digital or recently did so, what

are your thoughts? Do you/can you use both mediums?

I had a old Pentax ES11 with several M42 lenses including a original takumars, 50/1.4, 135mm, 28-70, 60-300mm zoom, vivitar flash, a small velbon tripod plus ome nice filters too, gifted the whole lot to a poor guy who works as a tracker in a wildlife park. He still uses it and is ever thankful. Earlier, when I tried to seel the system I could not even get US$100 for it. For the tracker or anyone who does not have a computer etc film systems still are the best.

Ronald much of the gear you have would have been fine on a Canon body. You might want to rethink the conversion to Nikon unless you have alot of money that you don't mind spending.

I've still got my Mamiya645 gear, Kiev88 with several backs including a poloroid back for proofing, Minolta XE-7s and Canon AE-1P.....I've listed some of it on Craiglist and had a few nibbles. I'll admit to being emotionally attached but I'd rather keep them as paperweights than to sell them at today's low values. I've also got some antique cameras that I keep just for display..... although I sometimes hear the old Yashica-A whispering to me that it wants to go out and play :-)

In 2003, I traded an extensive array of Bronica gear that I used for weddings to convert to digital. I regret not keeping some of it. I

still think that certain MF transparency film is still great stuff. I also traded an EOS 1n to buy crop bodies. I wish I had kept it for

full frame capability. I am going to buy a full frame digital body six years later so I can better use some L lenses that I did keep.

However, you can't go back. You won't get much for the A2 (I had one) and I still use the 550EX on my digital bodies. I would

keep them along with the 70-200 f4. However, according to current prices, you could get upwards of $400 it retail.

LOL, I'm traveling in the opposite direction. I've sold off a bunch of digital gear and bought a Nikon F6. I already like it

better than any digital camera I've had for the past 5 years. B&W film still has something to it ... as does some of the

newer color neg films.

The road less traveled.

Sounds as though the Canon system was good to you in the past, but you really like the Nikon setup. You know you are going to want more glass for the D80 so split the difference. Keep one of the A2s, the 24-85 and the 540ez for nostalgia, sell the rest and expand your Nikon kit.

Ronald,

your equipment cupboard would be extremely bare if you chose to do a wedding with just the nikon equipment you

mention, having got rid of the canon equipment. Unless you bought/rented additional equipment to cover in case

something happened to your primary gear you could find yourself between a rock and a hard place. Not to be

recommended.

The Nikon F6 is still in production - I don't believe they will end it any time soon, either. Seems to be mostly rave reviews from photographers overall.<BR>

Put another way...I'm a diehard Minolta shooter, and I've been looking at one fairly seriously myself! :-)<BR><BR>

Let's hope they keep it around a long while, anyway. Nice to have an option.<BR>

Jed

Kevin has a good point, if I ever got back to doing any number of weddings, I already have a complete system. I doubt I would want to get involved with this endeavor with a DSLR, the time consumption factor is ENORMOUS as I'd be a slave to my laptop by processing hundreds of NEF's. It's so much easier to just shoot film, people always want proofs.

I'd have to invest in an extra Nikon DSLR body and another flash if I just used digital for weddings.

The reason I went the Nikon route is Canon failed to create a lens in the APS-C format I felt was useful for my needs - the closest thing wasn the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8, but ti wasn't wide enough. The AF-S 16-85mm VR is perfect, and it's an optical sweetheart, probably as good as the Canon 17-55mm (minus the speed)

I think I'll go back to my original idea - this EOS system has to go as a package, I'd be "stuck" with some gear that would just sit around and collect dust.

Or, it can just stay with me and still be a valuable tool.

Hello Roland,

I would keep it. I have both a 30D and 5D I started photographing with these. Now I also have two film bodies. I enjoy photographing with both as weöö. You may find in a year or sp you miss the film camera. Why part with them for a give away price. p.s I used a friends Nikon FM2 last week was amazed and happy with the results I have just picked my own one up from an aution..

One lunch time a few months ago a college had his wedding appro in the town. I shot two films one B/W and one Colour. Just an extra camera. On the way back to the office I put the films in for development and two days later had the pics. I did not have any post proccessing time. Nearly all were winners and he was thrilled.

If your time is an issuse sometimes film is quicker.

Keep it I am sure you will not regret it. An exsposure can be made just as well with both. Film has a super quality. Digital has more control for adjustments. Both are excellent.

Regards Carl

Few days ago I have stoped by my local pro camera shop and talked to my friend Chuck that I was bored with my Canon DSLR's becouse it is all to efortles and than we started to remedy about the old days of medium format and film.I than bought 2 rolls of Velvia just for fun and went home.

I than opened my cabinet where I'v been storing my many 35mm film bodies.Took my trusty old Nikon F3 and 35mm f1.4

Put a roll of film in it and went out on a hike just like years ago.

There was certain exitement again at least for a moment I was reliving my youth and loving every minute of it.

By the way when I got my film back WOW I forgot how good things were before and that even my 1Ds MII isn't as good as many think.

We all at times forget but in future thiese film cameras become priceless.They have lot of sentimental value that I never felt with any of my digital bodies and I had all of them.

Keep them bolieve me you will miss them and wish you had them sometimes.

Don't sell: BUY!

You have Canon EF lenses, so buy a comparable Canon digital body, selling only enough to break even on the new purchase. (I am thinking the XSi or XTi, body only.)

After you have sized up the Canon and Nikon outfits, then rethink and decide which horse you want to ride. You are still in midstream.

Those EF lenses are not "film" lenses. They work with both film and digital. They are worth more than the Nikon body. The brand you choose is irrelevant, but don't throw away items that you could still use in a digital age.

As for keeping film cameras, well, you won't get much for them. Will you shoot them, etc.?

I would ultimately aim for simplification, and what I am suggesting sounds complicated, but you cannot let all that EF glass go to waste. Think long-term strategy here.

--Lannie

One way to look at it is that you now have a nice "disposable" camera to take on fishing trips. You would be so worried now if the canoe tips over.

I have to echo some of the black-and-white shooters' comments up above. My black-and-white and larger prints have a different look to them than the digital prints do, a different sharpness, a different feel, and it's a nice change every once in a while, especially if you are shooting a larger format. While I have become enamored with the possibilities of digital, every once in a while I take out my film gear and I am never disappointed.

If you decide to part with it, I like the recommendation about donating it to a high school photography club. The benefit you would provide to the club would far outweigh any pittance that you are likely to receive for the gear at that point.

I have a friend who modeled for me and has been going to photo school in Seattle, I have set her up with her film

gear, and she seriously uses it, am always on the lookout to complete her kit, I know she does more with it than I

would.

I have also donated to the local schools, unless the photo instructor is really only a computer instructor, they often

begin in film photography. I have had several enlargers either offered to me or just given to me and I have passed

them along.

Yesterday at a camera show, I saw a guy sell his Bronica with three lenses, prism and two backs for $300. An F5

was offered at about the same price.

A guy had a bag of Nikon and Canon film bodies, fairly recent stuff, no buyers.

The market is flooded right now with film gear, so except with few exceptions, selling is not much of an option.

If it has Leica or Rolleiflex on it, you can sell it. Well, the IIIf's were going a little light, and by going I mean offered,

condition 9, serviced, reasonable, and sitting there. People were generally selling, not buying.

Other than recouping your investment, you have options.

I can probably get you an address in Seattle and you have your local schools.

I have had some pretty good return on students who have gone on to do some good work often much better than

money.

Regards, J

Regarding a return to film media and my personal observations and experiences (with both film media and Nikon's F6) I

posted this in the Casual Conversations forum...I'm interested in others' opinions.

Marc, I remember chatting with you regarding this about a year and a half ago.

http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00RB7D

---David.

There are countless threads on this ::::: Still using film more than half of our jobs....when you can buy

film camera systems for very little $ > seems like a "no-brainer" in these economic times. Shooting film is the

hedge for us in the price wars, in our market at least. Not to mention how light a $20 EOS A2 can be around

your neck & your bank account. :-)

This is going to be up to you. I don't think anyone can answer for you. I know you are asking for personal opinions, but how is that going to help you make up your mind? I'd think it would confuse you more.

In any case, I keep all of my old cameras--I have an old Nikon manual focus system, a Canon film system, a Hasselblad system, and a Mamiya C330 system, as well as the old view camera I bought when I started at Brooks Institute--besides my digitals. Since the older stuff isn't worth much, I'd rather keep it all and mess around with them from time to time.

This is a thing I'm having problems to understand in PhotoNet. Why not enjoy from both worlds?. I bought my first digital

camera back in 1999 (Olympus 2000Z) and am now an user of an Olympus E-System and last month I bought a D80, a

camera that I'm enjoying a lot using my arsenal of "film" Nikkors on it. However it happens that black & white is my bread

& butter for enjoying photography and using my F4 or my Leica M2 or M6 has a feeling of enjoyement that nothing can

match, not to mention the black and white images they produce, untouchable by any digital camera. My hint, again: enjoy

both technologies, enjoy twice.

I gave my Canon 7NE (w/vertical grip) to my 6 & 8 yo sons..... they want a digital camera....I said NO, I told them, "you'll learn how to shoot as a Real photographer (no offense to anyone, just my opinion)".

They have a blast and learn patience (waiting for the local pharmacy to develop the film).

Two problems though...

First: they're using up all the old film in my refrig....reala, astia, provia, NPS and god forbit....VELVIA.

Second: My 50mm 1.4 lens is the least expensive glass I have.... I'm terrified they'll drop it. But I must say.... they are VERY careful and realize how important it is to me.

I just Love seeing them shoot!!

Ciao'

Frank