What would you do with a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Speed Graphic?

scott_branine

Hello everyone,

I have wanted a graflex 4x5 speed graphic camera for a long time. I found what I thought was a 4x5.

I will admit that I did not read the listing as closely as I should have and I had a few to many beers that

night. I ended up buying a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 speed graphic with 12 dual film holders and 3 lens filters. All of

functions seem to work just fine. I have read here on photo. net about cutting down 4x5 sheet film to

fit this camera, it does not sound to difficult. I have a good paper cutter. My enlarger is a beseler

45mxt, and I have a 4x5 negative holder that I can modify to hold the smaller negative.

I guess my question is would you keep the camera or put it back up for sale on ebay. Several

people were biding on the camera, I should be able to get my money back and then buy a 4x5

speed graphic. Any thoughts

I'd give it a little use and see how I liked it; like you said, cutting down 4x5 film isn't hard and there was a somewhat limited selection of 3x4 still available last time I looked. With 12 holders, you have a pretty good little press camera outfit. If you find it to be too much trouble to fool with after awhile, you can always sell it.

Freestyle Photo has Efke PL100 B&W sheet film in 3 1/4 x 4 1/'4 (quarter plate) size.

A roller blade paper trimmer is much better than a paper cutter for cutting down film.

That said, there's no sheet film size more convenient than 4x5. I've done cut down sheet film in 3A size (3A Folding Pocket Kodak with plate back), and 9x12 size (Recomar 33). But now that I have a Pony Premo No. 4 in 4x5 size, that's the just so much more tempting to use. (Not to mention how much lighter it is than the Recomar 33.)

Simplest way would be to order film from Freestyle at $32 fro 50 sheets, no cutting and no waste. Make a mask for

your negative carrier or you can find the correct size on ebay as well. Think one of my carriers is that size and

have one even down to what looks like 110 size for that same model enlarger. There are also roll film backs

available for that size of centruy graphic. Also visit graflex.org for more info

I owned a Crown in 3x4 and now have an old Graflex SLR in 3x4 that I occasionally shoot. The Crown seemed as heavy in 3x4 as my 4x5 but the camera is smaller, making it slightly easier for traveling, and the holders are smaller thus a little easier to carry since you can get them a couple in your pants pockets when working from a backpack. The film thing is a little more of a pain in the butt, but the whole format isn't geared to easy photography anyways. I set up a paper cutter with a taped down template I cut out of thin mat board to cut the film down so it's one more step as I load the holders but make sure you dust the film depending on how you handle it. I was able to easily get a neg holder for my D2 and now need to cut a holder for my scanner. If your developing your own you can use neg holders which are available or do as I do and use micro wave single meal trays. Three of them, a developer and fix and you've got a traveling lab practically except for light proofing. You'll need to check with your lab for service in the format if you go that way but my local E6 does develop the format when I need to shoot color. Personally between the 3x4 and 4x5 formats I kind of like the smaller better. The negative is really big enough to make fine large prints and the fact that the holders are smaller really clicks with me. If you can get around the film thing your really not going to be limited in most things you'll do as long as you get the lens boards you need which are around. Within the LF community as a whole there's quite a few 3x4 owners and shooters so your not alone. If your a first time shooter in the cut film format, it's not going to be much different in 3x4, so before you go to the time and expense of trading up in size you may as well shoot a box of film and see what you think of large format in general. Many get involved, but many drop out. It takes a determination to stay with it and to pick up the larger camera when the smaller one is easier.

Another option for film is to use Kodak Electron Image Film. It comes in 3 1/4 x 4. Note: not 4 1/4, but I haven't found the lack of 1/4 inch of film to be a problem in my filmholders. I have picked up a couple of thousand sheets on Ebay cheap. Hunt's Photo sells it there fairly regularly. I expose it at ASA 10 and develop it in Diafine. When done this way there is very little grain (a poor-man's Technical Pan). It comes out just slightly higher in contrast than Tri-X. I like the snappy negatives I get. I have made several 20x24 enlargements with this combination on my 4x5 Beseler enlarger. I sometimes even use a point source head with it and don't get grain. I shoot a lot of this film, using both Speed Graphics and Graflex SLR's.

A thought, from one who used 3 1'4 by 4 1/4 quite a bit: there are many fine lenses available at low prices because they just barely cover 4x5 and leave little room for movements. 127 Ektars spring immediately to mind, as well as 152 Ektars, 135 Symmars, and older Kodak Anastigmats (numbered 31, 32, 33 etc.) These lenses become excellent choices for the slightly smaller format and really the prices tend to be half or less of the same formulas in focal lengths that cover 4x5 comfortably. When I go back through 11x14 enlargements, I have a very difficult time remembering which were done on 4x5 and which on 3 1/4 by 4 1/4 -- the difference simply is not apparent in the print.

Likewise enlarging lenses that strain to get the corners of a 4x5 negative really do a much better job on 3 1/4 by 4 1/4. We won't even bring up the details about Omega and Beseler condensers that fall off in the corners badly when they are used for the full rated negative....

Just some food for thought.

Scott, if 3 1/4 x 4/14 is your long term goal, go for it. My logic would take me to a more available film format such as 4x5. With your Beseler 4x5 enalrger, it really makes sense to get the most out of the enlarger you already have, I think.. I look back and wish I had gone to 4x5 years ago rather than jumping up in increments 35mm, 6x6, 6x7, 4x5 as I did while I gathered equipment info and increased my photographic skills, of which you may already be ready for 4 x 5... I guess I wasn't at the time.. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.. or a straight will get you where you want to be the fastest at the same rate of challenge. Go 4x5,

Hello everyone,

I want to say thanks to everyone that responded to my question.

I have read all of the posts and decided to order a 50 pack of film

3 1/4 x 4 1/4 from freestyle and play with the camera. I am sure that

several of the first exposures will not be the best but with 50 sheets of film

I should get a few that are worth printing. The film should be here sometime next

week. Take care Scott

Sell the quarter-plate on or display it, and get a 5x4. Life's too short to faff around with an obsolete film format.

I have a nice Thornton-Pickard quarter plate SLR that I bought when quarter plate was still current (and available in glass plates!). It's still looking down at me from a shelf today.

Roll film backs for a 3x4 are often scarce on Ebay because its the logical thing to buy when has a 3x4 camera. Here I have a 3x4 as one of my Speed Graphics to about 10 years; besides 4x5 models. The mythical 40 dollar roll back for a 3x4 might exist; in my bids on them I have seen go to 10 times that in some looney auctions.

If the closed auction is still up on ebay you can go back and see who else bid on the camera. You can then send them a private message via Ebay. I'd tell them you mistakenly thought it was 4x5 and are interested in selling it if the 3x4 is what they were looking for. These cameras are not as common as the 4x5s so the other bidders might be very disappointed that they lost out and would jump at the second change to get it (assuming they, too, weren't thinking it was 4x5). Then take the money and go find yourself a 4x5. There's nothing wrong with 3x4 unto itself and you could make it work. But 4x5 is such a universal standard that you can pick from all the film emulsions, film holders, hangers for developing, enlargers, negatives carriers, etc., etc. that you want and they're all easy to find. Much easier than cutting film down in the dark or being limited to one type of film from one store and having to prowl the Internet for odd size supplies and accessories.