D90 RAW Converter

robbie_robertson

Hey, I searched the archives looking for news on RAW converter updates for the D90. (PS Elements 6.0) Someone

posted in late September that Camera RAW version 4.6 supports the D90, so I went to the Adobe download site and

found only version 4.5 that doesn't support the D90. Anyone know when Adobe or NX will have updates available, or

can correct my understanding? Thanks in advance for your help. The D90 is shipping today and I want to be ready...

On the Mac, D90 raw files work fine with ACR4.6 and, to a point, Nikon ViewNX.

I tried using ACR 4.5 and it wasn't compatible with D90 NEFs, so I downloaded Camera Raw 4.6 and am easily converting them in PS Elements 4 for Macintosh with no problem. Only thing missing are the Nikon camera profiles from 4.5 which I used for D60 raw files. I assume they'll get around to updating it, but for right now you'll only see the standard profile called "ACR 4.6" which it does the job fine.

Ironically, Nikon's own software for viewing, adjusting and converting NEFs (called View NX) can show the image and convert the file, but on the Mac it actually crashes the program if you change exposure compensation. I called tech support and they will look into it.

Hope that helps. I wasn't sure if you were using a PC or a Mac, but I wanted to post anyway so that others are aware.

Tim. I'm an advanced enthusiast. The camera is very solid and well balanced with the 18-105 lens. It shoots very fast

and is always ready instantly. Shutter sound is pleasant, not annoying. Buttons are easy to feel and press. It's heavier

than the D60, but still very manageable. Lots of customizations. Nice to know they're all there if I need them.

Biggest surprise was the 18-105 VR lens which I expected would be ho-hum, but turns out pretty sharp and clear; big

difference from the 18-55 VR. Perhaps the lens quality combined with the slight increase in MP resolution accounts for

this extra clarity, but I'm just guessing. I haven't really checked my pics for distortion at the extreme ends, but some

distortion is to be expected in a zoom, so I'm not going to freak out. We've really come a long way from the days (30

years ago) when you were cautioned NEVER to buy the kit lens because of it's poor quality.

I shoot RAW. Picture quality is very good. Photos are sharp, colors are true with not much saturation in the Standard

picture mode (which is how i like it). Metering is fine and seems to be quite accurate in most cases. If I had to be very critical, I'd say when

it's pushed, the light meter would probably choose to preserve shadows rather than highlights. But many times, statements about light

meter performance have more to do with the photographer and how much time he spends learning its nuances and capabilities in different

situations than with the meter itself.

Finally, Live View. Great for the occasional low shots of my dogs. I don't use it often, but I'm glad I have it. Not interested in the movie

mode, but it, too, may come in handy occasionally. Auto-ISO has a really wide range, so I always seem to have have a decent shutter

speed. Active D-Lighting is now available in various strengths - I leave it on Auto, which seems fine.

Those are the high points. Overall, they packed this baby with a ton of features. I'm sure I won't be bored anytime soon.