Why Olympus?

mrdavson

To start by responding to Paul P, the format did have an effect on my choosing Olympus. I prefer composing in the more squarish 4/3 format than the traditional 3/2.

Other than that, the value proposition and the quality of the lenses were factors in my purchase decision, as was the dust reduction system. I started with an E-300, which I loved and didn't care that lots of reviewers disliked its appearance. I upgraded to an E-520 this summer. I like using the live view feature as an aid when focusing manually.

I don't make large prints, so don't need a "full-frame" camera.

During the film days, I used an Nikon FE2, which I also loved. But I started with a couple lenses and never upgraded or expanded my system. When I was finally able to upgrade, the digital revolution was in full swing and a two-lens kit for the Oly E-300 was a better value than I could find with Canon or Nikon. Also, there are features, such as mirror lockup, that I'm not sure are even included on a comparable Canon or Nikon, though maybe they are now.

Since then, I've replaced one of the kit lenses with the the Zuiko 14-54. I still use the 40-150mm, which is reasonably fast (f3.5-f4.5) and sharp. I use it a lot, in fact. I also have the 50mm macro, which is probably my favorite lens. Fast, sharp and light; if I could only use one focal length, it would be this one.

Finally, I just borrowed a Toyo 4X5, which is the first time I've used a large format camera. I'm glad for the experience, but it's making me appreciate my Oly kit all the more. No criticisms of any other cameras or systems, just really like my Olympus gear.