How to repair a chip on the EOS 5D's body

peter_j2

My 5D collided with a chair and the black finish on the bottom chipped exposing the silver coloured metal (please

refer to the white arrow in the photo). Aside from having Canon charge me an arm and a leg for the replacement

part, how can I fix this chip? Thanks.<div>00RApn-79013584.jpg.f33c6707c009718312004ddf46dbb064.jpg</div>

Hello Peter,

Unless that's causing you to loose sleep, I would be inclined to just leave it and be glad it wasn't a killer knock that it took.

Cameras naturally pick up a "patina" as they are used no matter how carefull we are. Mine is missing lots of paint and I expect that most cameras that see a lot of use see a lot of wear.

Just my 2p.

P

Are you taking pictures with the camera or OF the camera? Why should it worry you :)

I know what your saying I added an aftermarket strap to my 40d and it used Key ring type things to attach to the camera, I noticed after a while it was wearing off the paint around one of the strap holder things. I took the rings off. :)

Peter, are you pulling our leg, or is this a serious question? Why would you worry about such a tiny speck? What do you use your cameras for - mine are with me all the time and while I try to avoid accidents, they do get battle scars and that's OK. I still think you were just making fun of us - right:-)

A friend of mine is pretty "conscious" about that kind of thing too. When the chip is on the metal part of his camera he uses a Q-tip and small bottle of enamel epoxy paint he got at the hobby store. It fills in the void and seems to stick pretty well. I, on the other hand, feel like the "dimples" give my cameras a more aerodynamic effect :-)

Peter,

Go to an auto store and buy a spray can of black exhaust paint, it is not super shiny so blends well with the camera. Clean the mark with nail varnish remover, then spray the paint into the lid, once you have a little pool of paint take a toothpick and get a drop of paint, put it in the middle of the chip, then get another and work out filling the chip to the same level, you need to keep the damage facing upwards. Then just put somewhere warm and leave to dry.

Hope this helps, Scott.

The very best thing for touching up cameras is the Birchwood Casey Super Black instant touch-up pen, which comes in both flat black and gloss black. You want flat black. Any good gun shop should have it. "Micro Tools", an online shop specializing in camera repair tools, also has them. They have stores in the US and UK. $5.95 each.

"A camera is a tool, not a piece of art!"

Nikon F3, F4, F5, F6, F100, D1, and D2 series were styled by the world's most famous industrial designer, Giorgetto Giugiaro. He's most famous for his automotive work (for which he was voted automotive designer of the century). His Italdesign studio has sculpted the lines of at least three dozen auto manufacturers from Alfa Romeo to Zhonghua. He was the farther of the "folded paper" school of design, loved his straight edges.

Canon fired back by commissioning Luigi Colani to design the "slope shoulder" body that premiered on the T90, and has survived to this day in the film and digital EOS. (Design folks refer to the larger EOS styling as the "Darth Vader" camera). Luigi was born "Lutz", but decided he was more marketable as an Italian. He favors rounded designs, and aside from monocoque race cars, brought us the world's most beautiful small airplane, the Fokker Fanliner, Sony handycam video recorders, Zeiss binoculars, etc.

Leica offers a wide variety of metal finishes and wraps through their "Leica Al La Carte" program.

Olympus just announced the limited edition "Olympus Stylus 1040 Crystal", whose black case is adorned with 98 Swarovski crystals. And there's a hint, Stylus = style us.

Nikon has a line of CoolPix cases by fashion designer Zac Posen. The CoolPix advertisements featured supermodel Kate Moss, nude, with some tag line like "all you need to wear is a Nikon".

Canon has a similar line with Coach, but no Kate Moss.

I like to baby my photographic equipment. It's just me. I know when it's time to trade up, the dealers and private individuals WILL give me top dollar. So, a nick, a scratch a dent means that much less money at the end. And I'm talking a couple of hundred bucks.

Thanks to those who offered actual repair suggestions. And, thanks to those who made me laugh.

chicks dig scars :P

try using model paint, however you will have to match the paint and give it more than one layer, i recommend

airbrushing it on.

still my camera has a few scratches on it, even though I baby it, but I like to think it add character :)

gmW

reading these comments has been fun - thanks guys. I liked the Sinh Nhut Nguyen comment - "you just made your

camera useless, get rid of it and buy a 5D Mark II"

as a photojournalist my cameras see some of the most extreme use in the photographic world.

it´s black gaffer taped to the hilt...

my cameras been splashed, fallen off cars, snatched by a dog and dragged through the desert, tossed aside after

photographing a hot girlfirend writhe naked on her bed (amongst others things).

CAN PEOPLE PLEASE POST IMAGES OF BATTLE DAMAGED CAMERAS?

James Wardell - The English photographer in Barcelona, Spain

www.jameswardell.com

it looks cool. I have an approx. 33 years old 35mm filmcamera aluminum alloy body partially covered with somekind of synthetic leather

coating. it is very durable the whole stuff with 50mm lens 1kg in weight. don't bother nothing will happen if you leave it uncovered. with the

years of use your 5D body will get a nice patina.