Where & when to shoot wildlife

tbs

I hope this question isn't something always asked. I couldn't find any such question previously posted.

Is there any good book that tells an eager nature photographer where and when the best places are to find and

photograph various animals in the wild,

maybe in nature preserves or just out in the wild? In particular I would love to know about northern California, but

other areas would be good also. I am looking for books that would say things like, "go to such-and-such place at

such-and-such time of year to see seals," and "The best time to see mountain goats in location X is _______."

I have a book that describes the best times and places to shoot scenery in the Bay Area and environs, which I've

found quite helpful at times, but no equivalant for wildlife.

Around Northern California, there are a lot of bird refuges, e.g. the duck pond in Palo Alto next to the local municipal airport there.

At Point Reyes, there are opportunities to photograph seals, whales (in the winter), birds, and elks. Check out Tomales Point for elks.

And you might want to check out this thread on elephant seals:

http://www.photo.net/nature-photography-forum/00Qvp6

Thomas,

Where and when are of course two very different questions (probably also need a 'what' in there too). Regardless for about 2/3rds of the US states there are reasonably priced books printed from the Watchable Wildlife series, there is one for California. You'll have to get it used, so I'd personally see what I could find at www.abebooks.com (Just try Watchable Wildlife California) This book series doesn't tell you everything, but it is light and a good general guide.

Well, yeah, Yellowstone is great. Been there a while back, would love to go again. But I can't do that as a day trip

from the SF Bay Area. I'm most interested in places I can get in 2-3 hours drive, do some good wildlife shooting, and

then get back home by night. Things in the Sierras, with maybe a single night in a motel would be OK as well.

Soon it will be getting good in the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge just off I5 south of Winters. It's a gathering place for

migrating wildfowl best in the winter (think thousands of snow geese), but pretty good any time for herons, eagles, ducks.

There are several wildlife refuges in the North bay as well near Santa Rosa. Also check out Audubon Canyon, run by the

Audubon Society near Bolinas. You can google national wildlife refuges and get maps and directions. Go to Pigeon Point

Lighthouse south of Pescadero and hang out with the docents on the weekends. Ano Nuevo State Park will be taking

reservations for elephant seal tours for dec thru march. Sea otters at Point Lobos. And on and on.......

If you're South Bay, then Pt. Reyes might be a bit far for you, but it's loaded with wildlife (and landscapes), especially elk, and has three kinds of deer. You might also spot coyote, fox and bobcat. Hawks, owls, vultures, songbirds, shorebirds. Harbor and elephant seals. If it's not too un-PC to say so here, you might check out various Bay Area wildlife-oriented Flickr groups to get more ideas of what, where and when.

Like Steve suggested, google up parks and refuges, and check out Audubon Society links to their refuges. Check out Nature Conservancy as well. Quite a few of these places have their own checklists for birds and animals, and people at the centers can tell you the best times for viewing. Just make sure you check out their rules for photography as well. Another resource you shouldn't overlook is hunting groups, they often give information on turkeys, bears, deer, elk, rabbits, ducks, geese, etc. If you know any "good ol' boy" hunters, see if you can borrow some of their magazines. They can certainly give you a lot of tips for stalking and information about the habits of some of these animals. Sierra Club is another place you can find information.

<B>In the bay area</B><BR>

Alameda South Shore beach is good for wintering shorebirds, paricularly on weekday mornings with a rising tide<BR>

Hawk Hill in Marin county is good for fall raptor migration, see ggro.org<BR>

Arrowhead Marsh near the Oakland airport, Palo Alto baylands, and numerous other marsh locations are good for

rails at high tide. The highest tides are in December.<BR>

Sunol Wilderness near Livermore is good for Golden Eagle in the High Valley area, Prairie Falcon at Flag Hill, and

landbirds by the creek.<BR>

Lake Merritt in Oakland has herons and egrets that beg for handouts, and wintering waterfowl nearby<P>

<B>Sacramento area</B><BR>

Many locations along the American River floodplain are good. Perhaps the best all-around location is Ancil Hoffman

park at the end of Tarshes Drive in Carmichael. Expect deer, turkeys, Jackrabbits, many landbirds, herons & egrets,

waterfowl along the river, and coyote & raccoon are also possible<BR>

Nimbus Dam fish hatchery: the hatchery's outflow always has a few dumb fingerlings in it so herons, egrets, and

diving ducks (winter) are never far away. Otters are also possible, as are beaver, Osprey and Bald Eagle (less likely)

<BR>

Lake Natoma, created by Nimbus Dam, has good wintering birds like loons and grebes, best accessed by a kayak.

The back waters of the lake will also have herons, egrets and otters. Rental kayaks are available at the CSUS

aquatic center near Nimbus Dam.<BR>

Ponds hidden among the dredging tailings in the winter can have Hooded Merganser, beaver, otter and swans.<P>

<B>Lake Tahoe</B><BR>

Taylor Creek just NW of South Lake Tahoe is managed by the Forest Service for public access to the Kokanee

Salmon spawning (wheelchair accessible, mostly). Aside from the salmon, Common Mergansers are very

accommodating

and Black Bear are also possible.<P>

<B>Sierra Valley</B><BR>

Take Highway 89 north of Truckee toward Quincy, turn right on marble Hot Springs road (dirt). Lots of birdlife in the

spring, raptors can be good in the winter. Please respect fencing and property rights here!<P>

<B>Warner Valley, Lassen Volcanic National Park</B><BR>

Warner Valley near Drakesbad Guest Ranch hosts an <B>AWESOME</B> Rufous Hummingbird migration in mid-

August. Also near Drakesbad are approachable Flickers and Marmots(spring), and if you're lucky the Pileated

Woodpecker, Sooty Grouse, and Mountain Quail will sit still for you. Dream Lake in early spring will have Bufflehead

and possibly Bald Eagle.<P>

I have many example photos for the above locations, please contact me privately for links to specific photos

wildlightphoto (at) earthlink (dot) net.

IMHO the best photos will be at the locations you can visit often, because you can learn the habits and haunts of

individuals and local populations, and you can return when you determine that light and season are optimal.