Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!? My 5D drops dead.

patflynn

My Canon EOS 5D suddenly died and I'm trying to figure out why/what to do. Here are the details:

I was shooting in Nova Scotia last weekend and had been using the 5D for a solid week there with no issues of any

kind - full normal functionality, same as ever. I was using it on a clear sunny day of high pressure when it died. It was

tripod mounted at the time. I had just shot a scene with one lens and decided to switch lenses, so turned the

camera off for the lens switch. Changed lenses, turned the camera back on, and nothing. No lights, no readout, no

functionality of any kind - nothing. The camera was just dead.

I put in new batteries, and got the same null results. Switched back to the original lens in case somehow it was a

lens problem - but still null results from that. I then verified battery capacity on a 20D and further verified lens

functionality on a 1Ds - all these extraneous elements were proven to be fine through these tests.

I use the BG-E4 battery grip on the 5D and figured that may be the problem, but pulled it off and replaced the original

mechanism/single battery and still got no results. So the problem appears to be with the 5D only. I originally bought

this camera in January 2007 and have never had any problems. There was once a slight bit of impact damage to the

outer plastic cover on the display screen on back, resulting in a noticeable 1cm scratch there, but that was half a

year ago and the damage is totally superficial with no functional consequences ever noted. I believe this detail is

insignificant but don't want to leave it out here.

I'm at a loss. There were no environmental stresses on this camera body, no recent impact or moisture, no unusual

shooting circumstances, and perhaps most importantly, a great deal of normal functionality which includes months of

extensive use AND several successful shots about thirty seconds before this sudden death.

I am hoping for hypotheses on what happened and suggestions on how to deal with it. Recommendations of a good

diagnostic and/or repair center would be great. Thanks for any insights.

Cameras do die. Even the 5D.

Environmental issues (and in my mind, October in Nova Scotia IS an environmental issue), transport issues, handling, and extensive usage all add to the "died" equation. Get another 5D, or, up your chances and get a Series One body. If you like neither of those options, just send the body to Canon for rehabilitation.

>> is there some advantage to turning the camera off for lens changes? <<

Not sure, I turn the body off as a precaution because there are a few contacts that may short or be read incorrectly by the body as the lens is turned in the mount :) I don`t know the cct tho, maybe 1st contact disengages the body & lens ?

Definitely pull the little silver memory battery, along with the main batt(s), to let the camera completely reboot. (Yes, cameras are computers now!)

Leave all the batteries out for 1/2 hr to 1 hr., wipe them down with a clean cloth, maybe dampened slightly with a little isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to be sure you haven't gotten finger oil on them. Then reinsert and see if it comes back to life.

Rebooting like this will reset all the menu and custom function settings to factory default, so plan to go through them and set up your preferences again.

Shouldn't be necessary to turn off the camera to change lenses, but it's not a bad habit either (the only thing you might wear out is the off/on switch).

While cleaning the batteries, you might wan to also check the lens-to-camera contacts and the contacts up inside the battery compartment, plus those on the tip of and inside the BG-E4. There are a lot of electronic contacts and it only takes a little "something" to interrupt the low voltage flows.

If the "reboot" doesn't do the trick, it's likely off to the service department. They'll probably find a faulty power switch or issue with one of the IC boards in the camera.

[[Off topic: is there some advantage to turning the camera off for lens changes?]]

I don't think I've ever seen any specific test of this, but the theory is that an exposed sensor that's on (i.e. has power) will attract more dust than one that's off.

THANKS for the advice to pull out the CMOS battery - I did not discover this advice in my other research and I can't wait to try it. Unfortunately I won't be able to try until tomorrow but I certainly hope this works. I'm very encouraged that it has worked for others.

In case it doesn't work - can anyone recommend a POC for Canon? Bob Atkins and others recommended contacting them…got a phone number or e-mail address, by any chance?

Mendel, et al, I always turn off my camera for lens changes because the system holds a circuit charge while turned on. This will inevitably attract dust, much of which could end up on the sensor. The curtains are visible behind the mirror when the lens is off, and if dust landed there then it is easy to imagine this dust getting tossed onto the hi-pass filter (effectively, the image sensor) during the high-speed shutter action of an exposure. So I always turn my cameras off for lens changes, even though a) I guess it may wear out the on/off switch a bit more (hadn't thought of that before) and b) I have to admit that I get a lot of dust on my sensors anyway!

Thanks again to all for the help and for any suggestions you may have for a POC at Canon.

"I guess it may wear out the on/off switch a bit more"

Yeah, that's where I was going. Hmm: if you have the camera "switched off", and then do something like remove and

insert a CF card, doesn't the activity light flicker for a moment. I've got a hunch the camera is *never* off, the the

on/off switch just serves as lock-out against inadvertant button pushes.

Also, it seems to me with the sensor behind a shutter and the mirror, it doesn't make a lot of difference to sensor

dust. And I don't know about this static charge issue. I've heard both sides of the argument. Anyway,I just leave mine

on, all the time. I do get dust, but I don't know that it's more or less.

So, good luck with your repair.

I believe tou may be right Mendel that the camera is not fully off, problably that may account for the quick startup? AFAIK the only time the sensor is fully desensitized of static (well most of it)is when in `sensor cleaning modes` which is a good reason not to clean in `B` setting as I have heard done. I suppose any switch could wear out, my wife turns the camera on & off between venues and shots to avoid straying fingers in niteclubs and events, possibly 30~60 times/night depending how much work. this habit dates back to `01 & D30, all my bodies still work fine but YMMV..cheers :)

Sierra Hotel India Tango.

Nova Scotia isnt exactly within the boundaries of normal operating temperatures. I have a suspicion that you may have fallen foul of condensation on the internals of the camera and continued replacement of the battery is only helping to fry things up a bit more.

Is it possible that you were moving in and out of warm-cold areas, such as from outside to inside without pulling your camera into a zipolock bag first?

Theres reason #2 for the 1d series.

Insurance.

Cheers G