Should I keep 400D as a backup if I have 5D M II?

yanzhang

I have been using 400D with its kit lenses (EF-S 18-55mm, EF 75-300mm) for almost 2 years. I recently bought a

new lens 16-35mm f/2.8 II USM, because I have a plan to upgrade to 5DM II body. I tried the new 16-35 lens on my

400D and the IQ compared to that produced from 18-55 kit lens is obvious for most of the time (landscape shooting).

So my question is: once I get my new 5D M II body, should I still keep 400D as a backup, or it is not worth

keeping it because the images produced from this 400D body will not compete with those produced from 5D M II even

using the good lens? Consider that I sometimes need to print my photo in A3 size (about 17.5''x12.5'', or

42cmx30cm).

If this is the case, I would like to sell my 400D body (and of course together with EF-S kit lens 18-55) if it is

worth some money and I will invest more on filters.

If not, or it will not be worth much for selling 400D body and the EF-S kit lens, I probably just keep them.

I would like to hear your opinions about this option.

Many thanks,

Yan

It's always nice having a backup but that's like asking if you should keep your Model T after purchasing your new Maserati. I think you'd grow rapidly frustrated with the 400D after getting used to the 5D II. If you don't need a backup then you should sell it and invest in more glass.

You won't get much for the 400D as a lot of folk are upgrading as well, so the value of anything but the current range in the used market falls. I would hang on to the 400 for a wee while yet, with any new models glitches can occur (witness the problems some users reported with the EOS 1D mk3) if your nice new camera has to be adjusted or repaired you may rue selling the 400 with such haste.

<i>"...you'd grow rapidly frustrated with the 400D after getting used to the 5D II"</i>

<p>

Not entirely true. I regularly switch back and forth between a 1D MkII and a 10D.

<p>

There are differences to be sure, you just have to make sure you're using the right tool for the job. If it's

just going to be used as a backup odds are that you will never have to use it so the differences shouldn't be an

issue at all.

It depends what you get ($) for the 400D and the kit lens in 2009 . . .

If it is just a couple of hundred, I would be inclined to keep both:

1. 400D + Kit lens makes a good light weight kit for trekking near the river or out on boat (almost ``dispensable`` if an

accident happens) . . .

2. If do use the long end of the FL, having a dual format kit, does give you nice FoV enhancer.

3. If you ever have a ``one chance shoot``, it is very nice having a second body as security.

WW

I don't know much about the IQ difference between 400d and 5d.

Do you hike or travel a lot?

I find 400d to be extremely light for its caliber. I do day-hikes with it

without any trouble. I have carried around for whole day in New York

streets along with 3 other lenses (total weight of 4 pounds), didn't feel

I was carrying a lot.

I am also planning to upgrade to 5D or 5D m2 or 50d, but I would not sell

my 400d. I just love easy of carrying it around; 400d combined

with 28-135mm, for me, is a good substitute for a point-shoot-capability.

I upgraded from a 350D to a 5D with the intention of hanging onto it as the body I would use if I wanted lightweight and compact, or less valuable. I didn't shoot one frame for 6 months and sold it.

I don't think that it is sufficiently more compact to make a difference (if you really need to travel light a good P&S is better) and the IQ difference was noticeable (to me) even on 6x4 prints.

If I used tele a lot (I don't, my longest lens is 100) then it might be different. For you, this consideration, coupled with how much you get for your 400D is what I would focus on.