Southern California LF Mentor

j. caputo

I live in Southern California and I wanted to know if any of you experienced large format photographers in the area

would be willin to take an hour of their time to show me hands on what Large Format is about and even capture a

shot. I have been very interested in purchasing a camera and setting my digital down for a while. Before I spend alot

of money on the camera, I would like to sit down with one of you guys for a bit and get an understanding of what it

takes! I will purchase film for our lesson as well as some extra to repay you for your time. Would anyone be

interested in working with me on this?

Thanks,

Jimmy

While we're at it... Are there any So Cal photo events geared for LF? We don't get much for fall color along

the coast, but the scenery is pretty nice (when it isn't burning). Beaches, Mountains, Parks, Lakes, they all

seem pretty photogenic.

Anyone know how amenable the LA Arboretum is? What's in bloom this time of year?

I seem to recall that most of the LA County botannical gardens allow LF as long as you assure them you're not a

commercial photog. Give them a call. The Huntington Library may not allow tripods (at least they didn't used to) unless

you were a member of the Garden Arts group (you have to apply).

A number of years ago I was up at the Griffith Park Planetarium just after they had closed for their renovation. An

employee came running out of the building and stopped me from taking "pictures". The size of my camera with the

tripod were not permitted on public park grounds without a permit from the city of Los Angeles. In Europe I have had

staff at churches/cathedrals offer to stay open after hours for me to set-up and take timed exposures. And I have

never had a problem in England or Scotland with my camera/tripod at any historical site. Here at home in Los

Angeles, call and ask but be prepared to be turned down.

Paul

You might consider taking the half day drive up to the Eastern Sierra next year as there is color there. Course, might not seem like much after being back east. I was in Slippery Rock once in Oct and can still remember how different that was from the western mountains.