Fuji G617 or stitching of 6x7 scans?

rod_sainty2

I have long admired large panoramic prints by big name photographers using Fuji or Linhof 617 cameras. Recently I

encountered several situations where a panoramic format was so obvious a solution I decided to look further. After

some reading and searching, I have been offered a Fuji G617 in very good condition at a reasonable price. Of course,

it's still a substantial sum and that money has other uses. I'm accustomed to manual Pentax 67 and Mamiya 7II

cameras. But in 2008, am I barking up the wrong tree? Given that the usual procedure now is to scan the 617

trannies and print digitally, should I save myself the cost and additional weight of the Fuji G617 by learning how to

stitch 6x7 scans together? The most recent thread on this topic was dated 2005. Has anyone else been down this

road recently?

One consideration is the nature of the subjects: Stitching is best for relatively static subjects, not good when the scene includes moving objects such as fast-moving low clouds, vehicle movement, ocean surf, wind-blown foliage, changing light, etc. The closer the movement the more problem.

Hi Rod. I'm a very recent convert to 6x17 - got hold of a lovely Fuji GX617 with a 105mm lens. I used to use a 6x17 roll film back on a 5x4 camera but the Fuji makes shooting panoramas a much quicker and more enjoyable experience! Personally I'd prefer to get the shot "in one take" rather than having to rely on the power of my PC to do the job! Good thing about the Fuji is that it should hold its value if you get it and decide to sell (which you won't).

I have dine some stitching for clients and myself. Its not as easy or as much as you would think.

Especially with large files. I did one recently for a client that topped out at 500mb per 6x7. Something like 2gb total i think.

The big problem with stitching i the overlap needed. You end up with using almost an extra frame to make up for it.

I would rather use a 6x17 and cut out the stitching altogether. Or go with a 6x12 and stitch. Its much less of a problem

doing 2 6x12's then a bunch of 6x17's.

-ian

Assess first the picture size you are going after. If it is of the order of 10 to 12 inches high by 30 to 36 inches wide, I

would spend some time with one of the following combinations;

Either

1) a 6 x 9 Fujifilm pro GSW 690 III with 65 mm lens; I would crop the VF with black tape (or assess the reduction mentally) to 3 x 9 cm and

use high resolution, low grain size, Velvia 50 slide film, or Pan F or an equivalent negative B&W film;

or

2) a 6 x 7 Mamiya with 50 or 43 mm lens; Crop the frame to about 2.4 cm x 7 cm and again use slow speed B&W or

slide film (Velvia 50).

We are considering in example 1 a magnification from negative to print size of only about 8 to 10 X.

If your results are not as high quality as you may wish (they will not only depend upon film frame size, but tripod use,

exposure, choice of lighting,...) I would then opt for the larger 6 x 12 negative (which can be re-framed as 4 x 12), a 6 x 17 cm negative, or

a 5 x 7 inch LF camera (smallest compatible LF for 6 x 17 cm).

I love real time photos (both philosophically and practically). Stitching is something I would rather do for holes in expensive socks.

Rod, good luck in your appraisal. I don't have any experience with Fuji 617s, but love the quality of their GSW 690 III lens.

If I was purchasing one, I think that I would try to find out who in my area could service Fujis, should you ever need that. There is

a fellow in New York State that has been selling Fuji parts, and I have obtained a new base plate (needed) and shutter

mechanism (precautionary, cost only a few dollars) from him. He is often on the US auction site under Fuji 690 or 670).

Maybe the 617 is still being made and serviced by Fuji, but the 670s and 690s were discontinued a few years ago.