delay BETWEEN photos

One of my students has a Coolpix 5700 and after changing some settings (he can't remember which ones) the camera

has a few swconds delay between photos. He takes one pic and then the shutter button and screen freezes for a

while before he can take another pic. I went through all the settings that I thought could cause the problem,

like noise reduction, etc. but couldn't improve it.

Any suggestions anyone

Thanks

David

Try powering down the camera completely to achieve a fresh boot. Remove ALL the batteries, including the memory cell (if it has one). Leave it that way for 15 min or a few hours or a day. Then reinstall the batteries and see if all is better.

Often these problems come down to a bug in the firmware that is triggered by an unusual combination of settings or button sequences. Either that, or a static discharge can flip a bit in the circuitry. Either way, a fresh boot is the "cure."

See this article for info - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C5700/C57A7.HTM ... if you are shooting large

jpegs - 2.24 to 5.5 seconds to next shot, for tiffs - 19-62 seconds, yeah you read that right. I still have a Nikon

8700 that's slower than cold molasses. I believe the issue is an 'inadequate' buffer, so the long time to write is the

downside? The fastest turn over is for basic jpegs - 2.09 sec. Hope that helps. Jim M.

Compared with my newer Panasonic FZ50 my Nikon 5700 is [was, it broke down awhile back] rather slow and if you want the advanatges of the the 5700 you have to accept the disadvantages. The 5700 is a fabulous camera but it is of yesteryear when slowness was the norm. Working in TIF means there is a bigger file to be stored which takes longer and for no great advantage over the FINE jpg.