Not Another Camera Bag Question ...

adam_tomaszewski

I've read the review here on PN about camera bags. It was nice to see some different information. After reading all of

the information in that review, as well as others on The Digital Picture, Camera Bags.com, and about a half-dozen

other sites I'm at a standstill as many bags seem well built and appear to meet my needs. I was hoping to get

opinions from those of you who have more experience. If I were to ever go somewhere ... really go somewhere ... that

I needed all my gear, I'd be in trouble. I have (or will have) the following:

40D, 70-200 f/4L, 28-135mm, 10-22mm, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2, a 580EX II, and an SD1000 P&S. Joby

Gorilla Grip Tripods for both P&S and my SLR, all lenses have hoods, a rocket blaster, battery chargers for both

P&S and SLR, two spare batteries for the 40D, misc. memory cards/pens/lens caps/notepads/etc.

So, I would like your expert opinions on what bag/pack all of that will fit in. It looks like I can get away with a Vertex

200 from Lowepro or a Nat Geo large Backpack, or a Domke J1. They all seem to fit this gear comfortably and be

comfy to wear/carry. I don't feel comfortable going in to any of my local shops to 'test' the bags. The lens that would

be attached to my 40D is likely the 28-135mm or one of the small primes. Beyond what is listed above, my

collection will likely not grow anytime soon. I don't plan on keeping my laptop in this bag but don't really care if it has

a laptop pocket. I thank you in advance for your thoughts on the matter. I have tried searching so I hope this matter

has not been over-covered.

Of the bags you're considering, I only have the Domke J1, which is a good bag if you're shooting in situations

when you don't want to put the bag down (e.g a muddy field, a crowd, an area where thieves are more likely to be

sneaky than confrontational.)

I wouldn't do it, but you could stuff all

the equipment you mentioned into the J1. You'd have to see if you're comfortable using it that way. If I were

going to take that much stuff at once, I'd use a backpack. In my case, I use the J1's ample room to make it easy

to take equipment out and put it back. I also add a little foam padding where I like it.

It depends on how you like to use a bag. If you can't make yourself comfortable taking all your stuff into a shop

and trying the bag, purchase from a shop that will let you return it, and try it thoroughly at home. It isn't a

matter

of getting enough opinions. The way you shoot, and the way your shoulders and back respond to a a bag on

one shoulder. will be different that what I experience.

I use a Vertex 200 for my travel kit. 5D with grip, 24-70 f/2.8 (mounted), 70-200 f/4, 50 f/1.4, 135 f/2, spare batteries,

charger, lens cleaning stuff, CP filter, spare CF cards, short Gitzo tripod with ball head. This is about as comfortable as

any dedicated camera backpack I have used, and there is ample space left over for misc items. When i need to carry a

full rig, i use a Pelican 1510 rolling case. Strong, waterproof and easier on the shoulders.

IMHO, any decent camera shop should be glad to let you "stuff" a camera bag and stroll around the shop. Hector is

correct - reviews and advice (including mine) do not matter if the bag is uncomfortable for you when loaded.

If you aren't used to carrying that much on your shoulders, you could get real uncomfortable real fast. Have you looked at any of the bags with built-in rollers/handle (like the Rolling CompuTrekker AW by Lowepro)? Course, it depends what kind of terrain you are planning on covering..woldn't work well on a rocky trail, but would be useful on pavement.

I love my Vertex... Super comfortable and HIGHLY adjustable. The "Glide-Lock" system makes it a

breeze to adjust to your body. My wife can wear it comfortably and she's much smaller than I am. I got

it because I kept needing more room. This should work for a long time. Excellent build quality. I'm 5' 11"

and weight 180lbs. I've had it for several months and have been thrilled with it.

The Vertex has plenty of space too. Currently holds my 50D with 24-105 f/4 attached, 70-200 F/2.8 IS,

100mm macro, 580EX, extra body (20D), Cyber Sync remotes, 1.4x TC, Gary Fong Light Sphere,

filters, cables, AC converter, mini tripod, etc, etc. Laptop sleeve is nice as is the external tripod holder.

HIGHLY recommend the Vertex.

My collection of camera bags continues to grow.

I can never find the "perfect" bag.

Different bags serve different purposes. My massive Tenba carries everything I could possibly want to use on a

trip including my laptop. My Tamrac bag holds just two bodies and a couple of extra lenses. The Canon bag is

perfect for one body and a bunch of lenses, and my little Tamrac just holds one body and an extra lens.

My favorite of all is my old Nikon FB-8, but it only works for Nikon lenses and weighed a ton. It was a so-called

"journalist" bag that had mounts in a steel plate in the bottom for 3 lenses and would hold one camera with a

short lens on it, and a second body. It folded out for easy access for lenses and was the most convenient for

one-handed lens swaps that I have ever seen. Unfortunately, I know from hard experience that the synthetic

covering on it would crumble with age, so mine is now covered in duct tape. I was able to get a variant of it

that only holds one body, but had a more durable covering (real leather, I think).<div>00R7nq-77505684.jpg.25a493dbfe88d473f1f5857847eb673f.jpg</div>

Thank you for that. I agree, I'd be much better off going in to the store and fiddling around. I have to hunt a decent store in my area. None of them really seem . . . up to par. Thank you for the info on the J1, Hector. I appreciate it. And Steve, Torin, thank for the info on the Vertex. I find the hardest part about the photos and reviews actually trying to gauge what will fit without being in front of the bag.

Since my local stores are a bit blah I think I will try and order one or two from the net from a decent place with a return policy and just work on them at home for a week to see. :) Seems like the best idea in this case.