Bride Groom: Best Introduction / Entrance photograph -IMAGE EXAMPLES REQUESTED

kiva

It would be interesting to see how others photograph the Bride and Groom as they are introduced and enter the

reception area.

Your best one or your most creative / different ones.

~What's your thinking on how you set up and where you set up ... is there a common theme for you or does it depend

on the situation?

~Do you find that the first few seconds as they enter the Most Important and you focus on those few moments? Or, ...

~Do you find that allowing them to enter and walk to the floor is better than a "door shot". ? Sometimes the

distance is to great to get both with any kind of precision. ??

have a look at my webpage http://lisa-odwyer.smugmug.com/gallery/1006104_3L2fX

there is picture in the filmstrip of a couple entering a reception. I used a slow shutter speed, focusing on the bride and groom and panning as they entered. this blurred the background and the flash stopped the action of the couple walking. it's hard to do and it doesn't always turn out this well. i think you have to good light at the reception to begin with.

More often than not my position is dictated by the room layout more than anything else. In the "boxie" reception halls, I tend to position on the dance floor just in front of the head table....but, since I know ahead of time that all the guest will stand when the B/G enter (contrary to the bridal party/parents intros) I'll look for a clear view and try to get three of four images as they walk in. Here's a fav of mine, I have a framed 11x14 sample on my studio wall...she's was one of the sweetest brides/people I've ever covered over the years and they were a terrific couple.<div>00R80f-77583584.jpg.7e6386394bb207a71151937eca01956a.jpg</div>

Firstly, the shot as they begin to see everyone is usually the strongest.

Beyond that, they often do some funny stuff though, so I like to be into the room by a couple of tables. That position combined with a 17-50 or 24-70 ish range (depending on the body used) allows for a crop to grab them, then somewhat wider to allow for the guests reaction.

Depends on your style I guess.

Nice shot David.

I agree with you David W. and that's why I'm curious ... it seems the very first reactions to entering are the best but I'm so tired of getting the dull background. I'm thinking of getting behind them to get some of the guests reaction to their entrance similar to the shot by David S.

(A great photo with just a boring wall or doorway just doesn't make it as "some" weddings.)

Not my best one, but one that illustrates just photographing what happens. Normally I try to get both the first sight of the couple by guests (and vice versa) since, as David says, they may do somthing cute and the expressions are great, so you want to be fairly close, and the one from further back in the hall which might encompass a wider view, particularly if the venue has nice architecture and/or you've set up off camera lights and the lighting can be dramatic, like Oscar night.

It kind of depends whether I have room to scurry back into the hall. Some tables are so tightly packed you can't move fast anywhere. And if this is the case, the couple often has to go single file, which is kind of not attractive. Then there is the unexpected, such as my example. I wasn't told about this so when it happened I just started shooting. Sometimes you just have to shoot.<div>00R832-77603584.jpg.173bad0ec28a86ad457619cdd4c0aba4.jpg</div>

Nadine: Now that looks Fun! The decoration element added energy to the entire entrance: beautiful.

Yes, I agree, single file through a set of tables is not the best ... which is actually what prompted this thread.

In General: the entrance shot just seems awkward (photographically) most of the time which is evidenced by the

lack of photo.netters posting their photos.

It's just a tough shot to capture to show the true energy of the moment.

Well, I'll post another image to illustrate what I mean about the room layout dictating position. Here it was a very large room with the tables spread out quite a bit. I needed to get the bagpiper and the couple so the grand staircase became the logical choice. Just another 20 feet directly in front of the couple was the wedding cake and the B/G stopped there for the cake-cutting prior to going to the head table.<div>00R8F6-77707584.thumb.jpg.2cc05e6750de887d0296917c308f7f32.jpg</div>

While this is a pretty common layout found in the "boxie" reception halls. The entrance door is just over their shoulders in the top image. The sequence and wide angle allowed me to include some of the guests on their feet applauding their introduction. You might also note what bouncing the flash (with my omnibounce on a bracket) does to crystal chandliers with glass-mirror trim.<div>00R8Fq-77711584.thumb.jpg.8a892fc18db2580df84216b3fca67675.jpg</div>

"turning around to crash into the videographer, who is probably mad at you for running around in and out of the

frame...."

I don't do much running for these shots and by this point in the day I've established a pretty good relationship with

the videographer...also I'm very aware of where he is before the B/G even enter the room.

Nice entrance image David W. :-)

David S.--I don't often crash into the professional videographer, because I also usually know where they are and have discussed it beforehand. More likely to crash into the multiple amateur videographers (I see less and less professionals these days), who often sneak up right behind my elbow, blocking me from moving. I do, however, sometimes run from a spot near the door (the couple's first entrace into the room) to a spot that gives me a long shot of room, including guests, as they make their way to the head table.

Or them at the Reception, again an amazing venue.

Mark Anthony Kathurima: I have admired many of your photos, and youve captured some great wedding shots around Nairobi, but I prefer your shots where the skies werent so washed out. Theres so much that you have on offer, its a shame to not make the most of those gorgeous trees to provide a canopy forhigh contrast. You could even bounce off some, the like of a Croton tree, or even the Acacia's.

Keep going.

Cheers G<div>00RDPr-80419584.thumb.jpg.aa561a154ea8d313b4780894fe41a705.jpg</div>

@Graham: thank you for your kind comments. Actually, as far as washed out skies, I have recently been trying to underexpose the sky to bring out the rich colours using a few methods such as sticking on a circ. polarizer then using flash to expose for the subject. I love capturing dramatic skies, so it's something I am definitely working on getting right. Sometimes though, it's just a (pale) grey sky with little or no dramatic appeal :-/