Prices

joe_barnes1

I was looking to get a 1D Mark III. I have been looking on the net and found a large range of pricing. (2500-4500)

what is a good price that I can trust. I want to make sure I get a Canon 1D Mark III. No so called after markets or is

there such a thing. Thanks Joe

What WT and Hiro said.

You can also trust Adorama (but somewhat mixed reviews on used equipment), Sammy's, Canoga, and Midwest. I've had good experiences with TriState, but others have not (so beware). There are certainly other reputable companies (not many), but do not deal with anyone who doesn't get a thumbs -up on this list. I've found Ebay to be a reasonably safe marketplace, but I haven't used them for high-dollar purchases such as yours. Sellers all have ratings, and there are buyer protections offered by Paypal. I could go on, but it's frowned upon to discuss auction venues on PN. If you deal through Craig's List, RUN at the mere mention of Western Union or any foreign country. (It's a scam.) Only do local cash and carry in a safe public place. Good luck!

Definitely do not pay by money order to Transylvania!

Seriously, the main stores that are well rated on resellerratings.com pretty well set the parameters. You may beat their prices, but dramatically lower prices are usually a reliable index of unreliability. There are some New York dealers whose ads, for example, are absent from some of the biggest photomagazines but present in some other photo mags. A check of their ratings reveals danger to the customer. Some of these places are so unreliable that even the lure of their advertising dollars is not enough for the more responsible magazines.

The trick of course, is that hardly anyone ever buys from these places and gets the bargain price. The store forces all kinds of overpriced additions on the buyer, and will even throw in the items usually packaged with the camera for only a little extra.

Also another beware,I found a store with 10 1d3`s for 1000 less than anyone else, when I checked the serial no`s they were 1st batch, which supposidly had problems, and needed to be sent to canon service, the modified and corrected models are marked on the box :)

Joe,

Wait as long as you can, the price of 1D MkIII's and 1DS MkIII's is dropping daily, new and used, it is almost certain that Canon will replace them in March and so the markets are going to have more and more available. Also as soon as the 5D MkII starts shipping I suspect a few more will come on the market.

The longer you can wait the better.

Are you after new or used. A new 1D MkIII from B&H is only $4,050 so go from there. Lightly used secondhand ones in auction are still a bit over $3,000 but not for long.

Take care, Scott.

Hey Chris if you want I'll get you one and post it :-).

I am upgrading next year and will be looking to get either a 1DS MkIV or a secondhand 1DS MkIII so I have been keeping a close eye on them. There is an Asian based shop on e--y that has the 1DS MkIII new, full warranty, very high rating and thousands of high value sales with world wide shipping for $6,699. You are still at Aus$ getting them much cheaper than that. Mind you the 7,900 seemed like a bargain. Maybe you should post me one.

But don't worry, I am fairly sure that the prices, even south of the equator, will come down again soon, I suspect the new year will start to see the real increase in the secondhand market and the new ones always try to hold out but as March gets closer they will get discounted.

Take care, Scott.