i need help - ideas on what to photograph in tokyo?

paradoxbox

okay folks, i know you're all going to jump all over me for this question.

but i'm having a hard time finding subjects worthwhile to photograph in tokyo. (i live here).

the problem is all the obvious things such as asakusa or the temples etc.. are boring and have been done a

million times before.

i've done lots of architecture shots but another problem is that i don't have a tilt/shift lens, and my widest

lens is 18mm. panorama shots in the city are dicey because tripods are not allowed and i don't need the police

chasing me and trying to deport me or something.

people shots are also a bit dicey because privacy laws here are very different compared to those in canada and

the US.

also obtaining a model release is basically impossible for random street photography for obvious reasons.

where does that leave me? what should i be photographing?!

a quick look at my portfolio here on photo.net shows the kind of shots i like to take, but i'm looking for

something that's a bit different from that too.

my equipment is a d2x, some lenses from 18 up to 300mm, an sb 800, good tripod, and a couple filters. thinking of

adding a second or third flash and some reflectors to the equipment roster in the near future.

Panorama shots in the city are not a problem at all as long as you're not in a crowded place (think Shibuya).

Worry about the people bumping your camera or the ones blocking your cam while taking a minute long exposure. I

haven't had that problem so far -- although I do shoot mostly at night since I have a day job, and most weekends

are spent *enjoying* rather than shooting (it's tough to play in the arcades/window shop/eat/karaoke while

shooting). If, like me, you get bothered with setting up a tripod, try a Gorillapod (arguably my most valuable

accessory).

So what does that leave you? Tokyo has great architechture in Shinjuku, Shinagawa and Odaiba/Tokyo Bay areas.

Photoshop has perspective correction tools (haven't tried it myself, no PS). Also, Tokyo has a lot of great

gardens to check out. Try Hama Rikyu in Shiodome or Shinjuku Gyoen. Take a walk along Rainbow bridge.

With the portaits and street photography, since I'm not a pro and don't sell my pics, I don't bother with model

releases. Besides, it's not hard to ask the people here to take their pics. In fact, I've had a couple of people

ask me to take their pictures while walking around. Also, I rarely take pics of the people looking straight at

the cam.

Don't be scared to take pictures here. Tokyo is one of the best places to do whatever photography you want.<div>00R76d-77213884.jpg.93bdbe88a22ce46759d6715ac7bab71d.jpg</div>

I just came back from Tokyo yesterday. I shot 'people' pictures on the street all the time. Nobody said anything or complained. I saw many photographers using tripods, and I have used them myself before when needed. You need a model release if you want to shoot advertising pictures. In that case you better hire a model. Almost every time I visit Tokyo I see a model, assistant and photographer on the street taking pictures, often using tripod, lighting etc. If they can do it, I am sure you can do it. Loosen up a bit. I don't think any Asian country, including Japan, is the kind of Police State that USA and UK has become.

Ilkka,

That last comment has to be a bad joke, Burmah, North Korea and China, are probably the true baddies but what

about Thailand? Very very intensively policed and the SE of the country is a virtual no go zone for tourists.

Cambodian public buses have undercover army guys with fully loaded automatic weapons to prevent "incidents" on

some routes. Most of Pakistan can be problematic and huge areas of India are very sensitive to photographers, the

UK and the USA might have shifted a bit in the last few years but make no mistake they are still very "free" and

the chances of getting shot are much much smaller than most of the others I mentioned. I nearly got shot in

Cambodia :-)

But onto Cory's original post, when I was in Tokyo I took people shots, did the usual markets and temples but

turned the camera to the people visiting rather than the buildings, I had no issues with anybody, indeed I was

surprised at how much pleasant interest westerners still attract on occasion.

Take care, Scott.

If you can get to the Sumo stadium very early in the morning, you can get 'cheap seat' tickets for that (same

day) afternoon's matches. It is Japan, large and larger....

And you can ride the Yamote Line around Tokyo until you find something you would like to photograph. On the

45-minutes (or so) it takes to circle Tokyo, there are a number of stations.

If you are up to a hike, you can try walking (on a Sunday or Japanese holiday is better on having less-auto-fumes

to breathe....) from the Emperor's Castle to the Tokyo Tower. Or take a walk between any two or three train

stations. You will be surprised at some of the sights.

Autumn is going on now. If you take a train out of Tokyo (i.e., the watershed dam area,) there are hiking paths

that have colors in the lower mountain areas.

Next month is 3-5-7 day and you can find a large number of 3-year-olds and 7-year-olds (girls) in full kimono,

and 5-year-old boys in their kimonos. It is a national holiday.

In mid-December, the Haigota (spelling?) Festival goes full-swing in Asakusa. A large number of close-up images

can be made there.

And in January, the 20-year-olds register to become adults in Japan. Many young ladies spend more of Dad's yen

on kimonos, and spend a week shopping and gathering with their friends. Camera shy -- not most of them.

Scott, there may be police around, but they do not bother photographers, with very few exceptions. At least that has been my experience living in Asia for the past 15 years and travelling for about 100-130 days each year.

"Autumn is going on now...there are hiking paths that have colors in the lower mountain areas."

Not it isn't, except maybe in Hokkaido. Sure, a few trees have a few yellowish leaves. The true autumn colours come in late November.

Ilkka,

Not being argumentative but I have never been hassled in the UK or USA, that includes street photography in NY city and London, and 300mm f2.8 use at JFK. I have not dared take my camera out on many occasions on my travels through Asia, and I am certainly not an easily intimidated person. But obviously different people and shooting styles get different results :-)

Take care, Scott.

Oh no sorry I lied, I was once nearly shot in Washington DC, I stupidly stepped off the curb whilst taking a kneeling stance to get a lower view point to get a sense of speed as the presidential motorcade drove past. A very on the ball policeman drew his weapon. It was the first anniversary of 911 though.

Take care, Scott.

• 2 weeks later...