Canon 70-200 F4 (non-IS) with Canon 100-400mm.

chinmaya

I wanted to buy a telephoto (300mm+) for my XTi, I considered Tamron 200-500 and Sigma 150-500 OS.

But eventually leaning towards Canon 100-400mm, as I heard that it has better contrast, IQ. and I am sure

IS is a good feature.

Currently I have 70-200 F4 non-IS lens, its only 4months old. I love the lens for its IQ, light-weight

and other good things. But if I am buying Canon 100-400mm there will be huge overlap of focal length

among these 2. I only have an advantage of 30mm with 70-200mm.

I wanted to know if some one has owned both lenses (rather I would say 2 lenses with similar focal length range)

and found a good use for both or not. I am asking to decide on keeping or selling 70-200

Any views/feedback comments appreciated.

Thank you

chinmaya

I have both the 70-200f/4L and the 100-400 IS/L and I don't really consider much overlap between them. For closeup, portrait, even outdoor zoomed landscapes the 70-200 is an excellent lens. For my birding/nature outings I don't take that, I usually keep the 100-400 on the camera the whole time. From my own research, I'd skip the Sigma, it's too slow (some may disagree), but the 100-400 is an excellent excellent lens, I love it.

If you look at the 35mm FF equivalents the minimum focal lengths on your XTi they are 112mm (70-200) and 160mm (100-400), there is a world of difference between these two so you will be changing from the 100-400 to the 70-200 to access this gap. But yes, at the upper end there is an overlap which can be a bit frustrating because the 100-400 is pretty good in this range also. I find that the overlap isn't all bad, It reduces the need for a lot of lens changing. Secondly the f4 is a different animal to the 100-400. The f4 is light, easy to use and hold all day, the 100-400 is large, heavy and not that easy to use quickly. I would keep both. I would also consider purchasing the 300 f4 L rather than the 100-400, this decision boils down to whether you want the slightly better IQ of the 300 or the versatility and added reach of the of the zoom. FWIW I have an XTi, a 70-200 EX and the more recently the 100-400L and I use the 100-400 much more than the EX but my photography (trains and wildlife) suits the longer lens, yours, if it's more general, might not.

Neill

I wouldn't worry about "overlap". There are several reasons for it, none a crime. Sometimes a newer, must-have version of a lens comes out, as simple as that. I have the 70-200 f2.8 IS, and am thinking about getting the 70-200 f4.0 IS (that's overlap!), which wasn't available when I got my 2.8. The f4.0 is *half* the weight, and apparently slightly ahead in sharpness (though the 2.8 is pretty sharp). I also have a 24-70, *and* a 24-105, again: lots of overlap. Both have their app's, again weight is a big factor.

I'm very reluctant to let go of a lens (read: never sell them). I figure the lens may have fallen out of favour, but either I'll pick it up again, or some family member or friend might have a use for it, down the road.

I currently have the 100-400L and I had the 70-200 F4L (until I traded the 70-2200 in for the Tokina 50-135 F2.8). I never had any over lap issues with them.

The 70-200 is smaller and lighter and thus more portable.

The 100-400 is a lens that commands respect (and maybe a monopod), it's heavier and much longer (especially when zoomed out), but it is wonderful when you need the reach. The 100-400 can't be beat for airshows or anywhere you want to get up close from far away.

Ed K.

You are looking at this all the wrong way around IMO.

You: ``have 70-200 F4 non-IS lens, its only 4months old, you love the lens for its IQ, light-weight and other good things . . .``

Now please complete this sentence:

``I wanted to buy a telephoto (300mm+) for my XTi, because . . .

& I want to do . . .

& I want to get . . .

and I cannot do these things with what I have.

If you can adequately fill in the blanks, then you need to answer / ask:

``And the best lens to do all or most of the above is . . .

WW

I own both, and have for a while. I'll agree that while there is an overlap in focal range, in practical usage, these don't overlap since I never take both lenses out at the same time. As others have noted, the 70-200 f/4.0 is light lens that is very portable, and I use it when I just need a medium range telephoto. If I know I'll be shooting wildlife or have a need to go long, I'll take the 100-400, and just put up with the weight.

If you're really worried about overlap, then keep the 70-200 f/4.0 and pick up a 300 f/4.0 or 400 f/5.6.

Chinmaya (and Harold M.)

I have the 10-22, 24-105, and 100-400, but also bought a 70-300 IS for lighter touristing and walkaround. While the 24-105 covers about 90% of what I shoot, I like the reach for detail that I can't get closer to, e.g., pretty girls jogging across the road from the coffee shop patio..errr, I mean, architectural details higher up on a building

The 100-400 is for me a "dedicated" long range lens, i.e., not something I care to lug around when I only "might" want a long telephoto; your shoulder can get numb fast. If you can afford it, keep that 70-200

FWIW, I formerly had the 300/4 IS, and even with 1.4 TC got excellent IQ. Both it and the 100-400, though not having the newest IS technology, lock up like a bank vault when it kicks in

Jack, I have been trying to decide whether or not to buy a 1.4x teleconverter for my 70-200 or saving up to buy a 100-400. Alot of difference in price! I just am not sure whether I would want to sell the 70-200 and buy the 100-400 or not. I really like the 70-200.