Rolleinar

angus_ngtg

I have a couple of questions about Rolleinar filters I'm hoping someone might be able to answer. I have heard

that there are sets consisting of 3 total filters. For example a set of Rolleinar #2 filters, one for the taking

lens and one attached to a larger lens for focusing. The larger lens has the red dot which needs to be at 12

o'clock. Does this sound right to you folks? I've also heard there are Rolleinar sets consisting of only 2

filters, one larger for focusing and one on the taking lens. What is the difference between the 2 and 3 filter sets?

When using the set that consists of 3 filters which rolleinar does one attach to the focusing lens and which one

goes on the taking lens? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

No, I am referring to Rolleinar set #2. The one I have consists of 3 total pieces, 2 number 2 rolleinar filters and 1 larger fatter lens for focusing. I of the Rolleinars attaches to the fatter focusing lens while the other attaches to the taking lens. Does this sound right? I belive that is the proper way to use the set. If anyone knows different please let me know.

Thanks.

Long answer: a Rolleinar is a close-up lens in a bayonet mount to fit over the taking lens of a Rolleiflex/Cord. Each Rolleinar was supplied with a matching Rolleipar (short for Rolleiparkeil), which is a prism matched to a close-up lens to provide parallax corrected viewing. The set always included a nice little moulded leather case that can be threaded onto the camera strap. In use, the Rolleinar is fitted to the taking lens and the matching Rolleipar is fitted to the viewing lens. The red dot on the Rolleipar should be at the twelve O'clock position AFTER fitting. You're then ready to take your close-up pictures.

There are three strengths of lens: 1-diopter, 2-diopter and 3-diopter (Rolleinar 1, 2 and 3). You can combine the Rolleinars to obtain a greater magnification BUT you can't combine the Rolliepars, so you lose the close-up viewing.

So far as I know, the Rolleinars were supplied in the three basic bayonet fittings: 1 for 'cords and earlier 'flexes, 2 for the 3.5F and 3 for the f2.8 series. There were also 'bookform' Rolleinars for the TeleRollei but I believe that these lacked the prism, being intended for use at greater distances than the other Rolleinars.

So there were 3 strengths in 3 sizes, which may be where your confusion has arisen.

You heard right, Tom. Some Rolleinars consist of three pieces, like the one you have, and others consist of two - here the Rolleiparkeil and the viewing lens filter are simply built into one piece. I believe the two-piece ones are newer; my two-piece Rolleinar is coated while the three-piece is not.<div>00R5zn-76701584.jpg.246b2083fb9f3f7fdd275d1a276160fc.jpg</div>

Thank you Bengt I appreciate your answer. Do you know which Rolleinar acts as the parallax correction filter? Does it have a different designation written on the filter? I am still trying to get this right.

How does one differentiate between a 3 piece set and the 2 piece set?

Thanks,

Tom