Nikon Canada awful customer service

marilyn_brown

I bought a D300 in February. In the middle of shooting a wedding in July, it stopped auto focusing. Turned it off,

removed the battery, put it back in, turned camera back on and everything seemed fine. However shortly after, I

noticed the camera seemed to be front focusing. Tested extensively in days following, and confirmed the problem.

Front focusing on all of my lenses (which focus perfectly on my D70). Setting AF fine tuning to +8 helped, but I still

felt the camera should be repaired. Took it into Nikon Canada a few weeks ago. They called me when it was fixed.

Picked it up, took it home and tested. Still front focusing, only worse. Even AF fine tune +20 wasn't enough. Took

it back in to nikon. Woman at customer service desk said the problem's been fixed, and if I want them to look at the

camera again, I need to prove something's wrong and provide them with test shots. I found this ridiculous, but

complied. Took test shots with my main 2 lenses (17-55 2.8 and 85 1.8) on a tripod, single point, single-servo.

Took the same shots with my D70 to demonstrate the problem is with the body, not the lenses. Took flash drive with

RAW and JPEG versions back into Nikon. She disappeared into the back, came out a few minutes later and said

the pictures look perfect - there is nothing wrong with the camera. I was initially speechless. I asked to sit at a

monitor with the technician to show him the (obvious) problem, and was denied. I asked to speak with the

technician, and was told I couldn't. I asked her specific questions about the photos, eg, If I focused on the letter 'B',

why is the 'B' is blurry and the 'r' is sharp? She just continued to state that there is nothing wrong with the camera,

without addressing my questions. It was like talking to a brick wall. I even took a shot while we were talking, which

on the LCD clearly showed the front focusing, but she ignored this. I will not rehash the entire conversation, but I

was there for almost an hour (causing me to be half an hour late for work). I was very calm and reasonable

throughout the ordeal, while the woman I dealt with was clearly uninterested in helping me, and at times

condescending. She finally agreed to keep the camera, and have the technicians look at it more thoroughly, but I

am not optomistic. Not sure if my next step should be continuing to deal with Nikon, or going back to the store

where I purchased my camera, and have them fight on my behalf. I am so disgusted with Nikon's customer service,

I'd like to ditch all my gear, but I've invested too much into Nikon. I will post a few of the test shots I provided to

Nikon.<div>00R5DM-76413684.thumb.jpg.38d50be54f084ac2a9f5aa79f538268e.jpg</div>

Are you letting the camera focus itself and lock on the area of interest or are you manually focusing? If by eye then did you let another person do the focusing just to ensure you are both getting the same results.

If automatic focus, I'm interested to see what problem the camera will have if it thinks it locks onto the object and then starts to front-focus.

Is there more than one Nikon service center in Canada? You may want to try another service center with a fresh set of eyes. Better yet, let the store you bought it from deal with the issue.

Also, the red AF square in your viewfinder is the suggested location of where the AF cross hairs are located. I wonder if that can ever get misaligned so that they don't actually match up.

Your test shot may be throwing off the camera too. The center AF point is cross hair and in your picture you have lots of vertical lines as well which may trick the AF system as important. Try a more plain target. I'm sure you have but just a suggestion if you haven't. How about clean white background with horizontal stripes. There is a version of the standard AF test on photo.net

On my screen some of the E is sharp as well as some of the R. Not all of the R is sharp. So maybe this is within Nikon specified allowances of the AF system as the E not that physically far from the B.

Sounds like a dud AF system and you'll need to demand a new one. The complexity of finding the exact cause may be beyond them or they just haven't put the effort into doing it. Unfortunately this center may not be helpful. Can you send it elsewhere. I think there are at least 2 service centers in the US so maybe Canada has 2 as well. Worst comes to worst you have to send it to a place like APS in the US (http://www.authorizedphoto.com/) or an equivalent in Canada. All out of pocket I suppose but a camera not working is a useless one. Good luck

Curiosity question....choose one of the other single AF points. Will it focus correctly using a different AF point? It will only tell you if something is wrong with center AF point but more info always help the next person who repairs your camera.

i can't remember ever reading a post where nikon's customer support sounded so unwilling to help out with a problem that appears to be legitimate. i can't think of why this would be so. i'm especially surprised since the user is able to carry the equipment directly into the customer service center and deal personally with the nikon representatives.

can nikon customer service in canada really be so inept and unhelpful?

could be more to the story? nikon is a reputable company, and i've never heard of them not honoring the warranty for a covered defect.

Don't you have something like a consumer ombudsman in Canada? We have them here in Sweden (because way too many shops

tend to forget you as soon as you walk out their doors). Other than that I agrre with the others. Hopefully Nikon sees that your

difficulties are also noted overseas. Not good Nikon!

Curious...did you try to reset your D300 to "reset to factory settings". If this is not helpful, then try Nikon in Montreal.

They helped me a number of years ago and were very professional.

3300 Boulevard de la Côte-Vertu

Montréal, Quebec

H4R 2B7

Telephone: (514) 332-5681

Fax: (514) 332-3305

Do not be concerned about communicating in English within Quebec's French environment as they really are

professional. To put everyone at ease (Canadians are really uptight about their language issues), simply start your

converation with bonjour.

Let us know how it turns out.

With the service history you've outlined, I'd politely--but firmly--ask to speak directly to a tech. Nikon.ca has drifted into this annoying ventriloquism act involving techs in the back, clueless counter help and you. I've been going to Aerowood for 10+ years and have only recently seen irate, frustrated customers unhappy with offhanded, dismissive service. The Nikon techs are genuinely nice but are now apparently discouraged from interacting with the public. That's not the Nikon.ca service I've known.

Here at Nikon USA (New York) I just returned a flash with problems and asked to speak to the manager and show him my problem. They were very nice and polite. The manager saw the problem and immediately corrected it. Way to go Nikon (USA)! The lady at the front desk was just a person who takes in equipment, the back office was the expert. You need to speak to the manager.

• 6 months later...

<p>Hi Marilyn.</p>

<p>What experience you has at Nikon Mississauga service, nothing new for me. Two years ago, I went to Nikon and get the firmware update to my D2X. Shortly after that, I noticed, the multiple exposures do not working. I get back to nikon a mounts later and complaining what is the problem after the firmware update. A tall guy at the desk, checked out the camera and try to explain to me, with a very boring face, nothing wrong with the camera, the camera is ok and a multiple exposure is working. Try it again, it didn't worked, Then several try, he taken the camera to the service for checking it out. Camera beck, the guy at the desk telling me, the technician checked the camera and the camera is ok. To make the story short, this in and out happened three time, and every time the guy said, the camera is ok. Finally after an hour torture, a professional photographer shown up, to the my side of the desk, hearing the argument, checked out my camera for multiple exposures, and said yes, the camera multiple exposures do not working. And guess what the guy said at the desk. We can't do nothing about it. On that time, I thought I going to have a hart attack, (I was 68 on that time) and run out, and sold my D2X. And this is the last, such horror story I can tell you. An hour ago, I vas on the phone with one of my friend, whom both a D3X, brand new sealed, and figured out, the sensor had all ready dust on it. Returned to Nikon for cleaning, then home and he find the camera sensor has mach more dust on, then before he dropped the camera for Nikon. He vent back to nikon, and he spend 3 ours waiting to get his camera properly cleaned. Tomorrow he going to figure it out, if he has a clean sensor, or he my have more trouble with the camera, as he had before. The service at Nikon Mississauga is a total disaster, people unfriendly, careless, and not professionals at all.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Yikes! What horrible service from Nikon, Canada.<br>

The camera doesn't need a new AF module as someone suggested as it's clearly working. It just needs to be recalibrated. Not a major and Nikon, Canada should be able to do the recalibration in short order and have the instruments to check it.</p>

<p>I had a similar issue with my D50. This occurred after I sent it in for cleaning last year in March. My camera has never been the same since. I wrote, emailed, called, and complained numerous times. I returned this camera while still under warranty three times after I got it back in March of 2008. 2 of those times they replaced the lens I was using - which was NOT the issue.<br>

Finally I called again recently and complained and sent a cd of pictures and my camera back to them. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but what appalled me is that they returned this camera to me loose in a box. No bubble wrap, no protection, via courier. So you know it was tossed around.<br>

I guess they don't care about their reputation to much anymore. I was thinking of purchasing a better model from them but after this experience I doubt it.</p>

• 1 month later...