Camera Commander Mode and Flash Zoom Control

chris_werner

Is there a way to manually zoom the flash when using the Speedlight remotely with the camera in Commander mode?

I was experimenting today with my D300 in commander mode running an SB-900 off camera, flash set to manual, and I

couldn't figure a way to do this. It stayed on 14mm the whole time (and the lens on camera was 35mm, so it

didn't look like it was getting that setting at all). Thanks.

If you have the strobe's built-in diffuser flipped down, or the diffusing cup mounted, it will force it to wide angle. At least, that's how the SB-800 behaves.

The CLS system certainly doesn't transmit focal length distance to remote strobes (since they're not at the camera's position - so, that wouldn't make much sense). Check the diffusor situation.

The main idea of flash auto zoom feature is to have a zoom lens and flash located in the camera hot shoe. Then the zoom changes will cause the flash head zoom changes as appropriate to follow the setting.

What are you trying to achieve with auto zoom on a remotely located flash? I guess may be it makes sense to you.

If I understand Chris correctly, it's not that he wants auto zoom... it's that he wants to be able to manually adjust the strobe's pattern while it is being used as a remote strobe (which is a very reasonable thing... using it as a hairlight is different than using it a backdrop light, for example).

The SB-800's zoom control isn't disabled when it's in remote mode, so I doubt that the SB-900's is. But having the diffusor flipped down WILL disable the zoom, regardless of what else you're doing.

Frank - Matt hit what I'm trying to do - I'm trying to manually control the pattern to vary the effect with the flash off-camera.

Matt - I didn't have the diffuser down, but I did have a florescent gel in the holder and on the end. I wonder if that might have had the same effect. Or I might just be stupid today. I'll try it both ways and see what happens.

Well, equipment and stupidity fought to a tie on this one. Early on I must have just gone brain dead on the controls, but later, when I spent more time looking at it, I had the diffuser dome on (forgot about that earlier), which apparently pushes this tiny little button in to disable the zoom. Now that both issues have been addressed, it's working as it should.

Thanks, Matt, for pointing me in the right direction.

Now let me put in my two cents.

I have 2 - SB800's and one SB900 and when I am shooting in commander mode with my D300, I cannot figure out

how to manually adjust the zoom control on the flashes.

Your (collective) answers did not get me any closer to adjusting the zoom controls on my flashes.

Can we try again please?

Take into consideration that my flashes do not have any diffuser on them, no gel attached, and the wide angle

diffuser, built in to the flash, is not deployed.

Anybody can help?

Asher,

I can tell you how on the SB900. No diffuser or diffuser dome of course. Then press the zoom button on the back at the bottom left. The focal length symbol "XXmm" on the display will now be highlighted in black. Then rotate the wheel in the center to the desired zoom level. You should hear the motor move in steps as you do this. Hope that helps.