5D MkII vs. 50D autofocus

marknagel

I've been reading whats available on the 5D AF and AF micro adjustment for lenses. Did I misread something or is

the 5D MkII coming out with a lesser AF system than the 50D, or is the explanations I read just not clear.

Also, has anyone seen more info on the AF micro adjustment function. Once set, would I have to select it when I

swap to a lens, or does it remember which lens needed a certain adjustment?

Thanks,

Mark

Micro adjustment (at least as implemented on 1D3/1Ds3) remembers the type of the lens (if the "by lens" option is

selected) and automagically uses the MA setting for that lens, if any. I said "type", because if you use 2 different,

say, 50/1.4 lenses, both will be treated as the same lens in terms of MA. OTOH the MA will differentiate the same

lens with and without a teleconverter.<br><br>As for the quality of AF on 50D and 5D2 - nobody really knows

because there are no 5D2 production cameras available for testing. I'll venture a guess, that in real life the AF on

5D2 will be more than adequate for its intended applications.

The AF system for the 5D MK II is exactly the same as that for the original 5D. It actually performs well. The chief handicap (at least in my eyes) is that the focus points are not particularly spread out. Of course, it would be nice if there were also focus points that offered AF with an f/8 lens/TC combination, or high precision focus with an f/4 lens, or more focus points that offered high precision with an f/2.8 lens (there are actually three - the centre point and two AI Servo assist points), or more points that are cross type.

My 5D has significantly better AI servo than my 40D, probably due to the 6 "invisible" AF assist points. On paper at least

the 50D/40D has the same AF and the 5DII inherits 5D AF. So I imagine a similar performance between the 50D/5DII.

However the new models have a faster CPU and, I assume tweaked AF algorithms, so I'd expect minor improvements.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Here's an extract from dpreview's interview of Canon at Photokina.

DPReview.

One of the most common complaints we've seen about the 5D Mark II is that it still has the same AF system as the original 5D. Why is this?

Canon.

"Firstly the market's evaluation of the 5D's AF system has been very positive; there have been no complaints from users, with everyone saying it's very good. Given that, to a certain extent, we think we shouldn't change it. And also there's some limitation with size; the AF sensor in the 50D is very big; the one in the 5D is much smaller. If we wanted to have all cross-sensors in the 5D Mark II, it would mean we might have to sacrifice the compactness of the body. It's all a question of balance of features and benefits."

Make of this hype what you will!

I read the 5D's AF was "sluggish", a landscape camera. I cannopt say that about my 40D. I want full frame but am borrowing a 5D to test it's AF first.

full dpreview interview here.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0810/08100302_canoninterview.asp

My 5D focused fast and extremely accurately (the most accurate of any camera I have used) as long as I used the center focus point. When shooting sports, I used the additional 'invisible' focus points in AI mode. Otherwise I used just used the center focus point.

Thanks, I had the 40D and 5D (sold both to get the 50D and 5D MKII while things are slow) and didn't notice much if any difference for what I do. I only use center point. What I was noting was the 50D has 9 cross type and the 5D MKII lists only the center. I was just surprised the 5D MKII would be released the same time and not boast a better AF than its baby brother.

Mark

I have the exact same dilemma, but to make matters worse there are occasions where I need serious telephoto work too. My probable course of action would be so get a 50D and some serious lenses since I can't afford a 5D mark 2 and 3-4 good lenses I'd need with it. The way I see it, as long as I don't get EF-S lenses I can always upgrade body...