50D images and questions

will king

I received my new 50D today. There are some test images at my flickr account:

<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/74997094@N00/" >testimages</a>

<br>

<br>

Just wondering if Highlight Tone Priority and High ISO Noise Redcution are applied to RAW images. The manual wasn't very clear to

address this.

<br>

<br>

Page 62, section on RAW

<br>

<b> <i> About High ISO speed noise reduction and RAW. </b>

Although High ISO speed noise reduction settings are applied to the recorded images, the images without noise reduction applied are used

during image playback (on the LCD monitor and on a TV screen) or direct printing, (Noise my appear in the images.) Confirm the noise

reduction effects or print noise-reduced images with Digital Photo Pro (provided software). </i>

Thanks for the shots. Is it my failing eyes and/or monitor, or is ISO 1600 about as clean as ISO 100?

As i read the manual excerpt, i gather that when viewed on the LCD, hooked directly from camera to television, or direct printing

from camera - noise reduction is not applied. However, the actual image file does have NR applied, and this file can be

downloaded for PP. just my take.

"Just wondering if Highlight Tone Priority and High ISO Noise Redcution are applied to RAW images"

No, a RAW file is just RAW data i.e. 14bit of information per pixel which is exactly the ADC output value for each pixel. NR is applied after demosaic in RAW software such as DPP and ACR.