50D RAW problem.

sbp

I use a 1D MkIII and 5D, shoot both RAW and JPEG depending on the situation, and process with Aperture 2 on a MacBook. I have never had any

problems downloading or processing images in either format, both of which display full EXIF data.

Problem... I just got a 50D backup body, mounted a lens, and did some test shots in RAW. Images downloaded normally into Aperture, and

Aperture recognized the sending camera as "Canon 50D". However, there was no EXIF data for any shot and, although the thumbnail view looks

normal, when I tried to upsize view for editing, I got a message "Unsupported Image Format". I then took some more test shots in JPEG - all

normal - full EXIF data and no problem editing shots.

Question... Is it possible that Aperture supports RAW from the 1D and 5D, but not the 50D? Is there something unique or different about the RAW

files generated by the 50D? Thoughts? Help!

-- "Is it possible that Aperture supports RAW from the 1D and 5D, but not the 50D?"

Yes, that is exactly the case. Albeit they all produce "raw" files, these files are not the same type of files. The next Aperture Version (or an update to the existing one) will certainly support the 50D.

For now, the best you can do to process 50D raw files, is to download Canons latest version of DPP (which I believe will be able to handle the 50D raws).

Apple is pretty quick to publish updates for new but popular cameras. However, the 50D was just released this past week

and half the stores don't even have it yet. It normally takes Apple, like Adobe, from a couple weeks to couple months to

post updates for a new model. I wonder when Canon gave them the format specs? Canon isn't nearly as fast at responding

to OS updates...

The newest version of DPP 3.5x has been updated to work with the 50D and is on the "EOS Digital Solution" disk that

came with your new camera. Install and you'll be shocked to find the RAW conversions are better straight outta the app

than anything short of a flurry of mouse clicks in Aperture and PS ACR.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I've actually never used DPP with any of my bodies. If I download into DPP and process files, can I then export as semi-

processed RAW files to Aperture for tweaking and filing? Or will I have to export from DPP as JPEG, TIFF, PNG, etc?

You don't have to download DPP. It's on your "EOS Digital Solution" disk that came with your new camera. Besides, the

downloads are updates and will not install unless other Canon apps are detected.

Believe me, you'll want to tweak them in the RAW state before exporting as TIFF, DNG, etc. Otherwise you lose the

benefits of RAW. I love Aperture for organization and small adjustments too but DPP RAW conversions are so much better

it's silly. Why? DPP opens the RAW file with my camera parameters as defaults (I use C2, C2 custom parameters).

Aperture, like ACR, is unable to read Canon's software tags and thus require a bunch of mouse clicks to arrive at an approximation of my defaults.

You can batch process in DPP and have them automatically open in PS but not Aperture.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I found this on an Apple Discussion: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8197190

It looks like the problem is in a recent update to RawCamera.bun. An older version can be found at:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/digitalcamerarawcompatibilityupdate21.html

I tried this and now it works fine. Hoping Apple will correct the problems with the last update?