D70s highlights

I've just bought a D70s, and am finding my way round it.

One feature that I find slightly annoying, is that when there are highlights in a picture, a message saying so appears

at the bottom of the monitor screen, and the pixels flash where the highlights are.

I can see that it might have some uses, but I would also like to turn it off. I've trawled the guidebook - not the

easiest of texts - but have not yet found reference to this feature. Is is a custom issue, and how do I deal with it?

Can any member help please?

Another issue is reducing excessive highlights at the time of exposure, but I think I can experiment on that.

Mervyn

Many thanks to Rob and Frans for the advice. Whilst I've been a "photographer" for 50 years, I am totally new to dslr work. At 66, perhaps my brain isn't quite so quick as it used to be, but it isn't totally defunct either!

In the post this morning, I received the David Busch guide (very cheap via Amazon). It deals with this issue rather better than the Nikon guide. I'll read further, and, no doubt, learn a little more.

Thanks again.

Mervyn

• 4 months later...
<p>Mervyn, blown highlights are the Achilles heel of digital cameras, especially if you enjoyed shooting C-41 film.  Most new high-end models have some compensatory mechanism, such as lowered contrast or highlight recovery.  You can also shoot RAW, which (with work) yields about 1 stop extra headroom.</p>

<p>Many thanks for your advice Bill.<br>

You may not have noticed that my original posting was back in October. Since then, I have educated myself to an extent and found my way round the camera! I have also been pleased by many of the prints I have turned-out.<br>

That said, I think my Bronicas and monochrome darkroom give me rather more pleasure/satisfaction! My elder son, who has spent more on digital equipment than the bank bail-outs, thinks I am the only person in the world who is going backwards. I don't think he is actually right!<br>

Mervyn</p>

<p> </p>