gala event - what to wear?

keith_mellnick

I'm shooting an event that will include a lot of celebrities and I believe is black tie. The person who hired me said as

long as I don't look like a schlep I'll be fine. I said I usually wear slacks and a button-down shirt and she said that's

fine, but does anyone suspect that this is under-dressing and could be awkward? Or is it normal that the

photographer is dressed nicely but not to the nines. Wearing a suit would be quite cumbersome.

I'd guess not wearing a suit will make you stick out like a sore thumb. Not that long ago, almost every reporter/photographer wore a suit, besides the jacket pockets make excellent film, battery, flashbulb and lens holders.

Dressing to suit the occasion means you can move about the room relatively unobtrusively, esp if you carry your gear below waist level out of the other guests line of sight. This works well even when using a 6x9 Linhof with a large flash head on it.

At Black Tie events, I always wear Black Tie.

IME, it is worthwhile dressing appropriately. I have photographed many Black Tie Events, and within the very little contract work I do now, there are many Formal Weddings. Etiquette and Tradition and the importance placed upon them by the client, and the potential clients attending the gig varies from place to place, and from culture to culture: but IMO, if the event is indeed Black Tie, then a Male Photographer attending dressed in a Dinner Suit is not ``dressed to the nines``, but simply dressed in accord with the occasion.

A Traditional Dinner Suit, which does not stand out, where I live is: Black Dinner Coat with Satin Lapels and matching Black Pants, with Satin Strip up the outer leg; a traditional winged collar dinner shirt; with studs and Black Bow Tie, (sometimes I have lashed out and worn a coloured Bow Tie.)

I described exactly what I wear, as a Tux here is a ``Tuxedo``, which is the Black Dinner pants, but with a White ``Tuxedo`` (Dinner Coat) and often worn with a Maroon or (sometimes) Black Cummerbund. At Black Tie events I have attended, such attire would stand out, rather than blend in.

WW

You would be well advised to follow the advise above. Furthermore It is my belief that you should dress to match the occasion but when you are uncertian it would be better to slightly overdress than to show up in dockers and a buttondown only to have people wonder about your lack of professionalism.

Being the executive photographer for heads of state I am often required to adhere to specific dress codes. If it is a black tie affair then I am expected to dress in the manner as an invited guest. For high profile events with celebs etc. that do not have dress codes I always dress in solid black w/black sport jacket or black tie as to never draw attention but to quickly blend into the shadows when necessary.

I wear a black short sleeved T-shirt under a black sports jacket with black slacks. The shirt has copper elements embedded in the fabric that work better than any deodorant. I am moving around the entire time and it gets hot with all the body heat in the room. A white shirt as with a tux looks terrible after 60 minutes unless you keep your jacket on the entire time.

I want to be inconspicuous but also as comfortable as possible as I am working as part of the hired help and working harder than any of the other vendors and for a longer period of time.