image format

pietje

Hi,

I'm new here, and searching my way trough this good concepted, but very complex site.

For the first entries i tried I had the annoucement : "file too large".

It took me a hell of a time to find how large was too large.

I found the file had to be aproximatively 512 px in with, but i can't find it again.

Now it seems most of the entries are larger, or way larger.

And indeed, 512 px is very very small to judge correctly quality.

BUT : HOW LARGE HAVE I TO MAKE MY UPLOADED PICTURES?

Is there no real rule?

Is there a guideline?

Thanks for helping me out

Piet

For your photo.net portfolio, I think the default width is 680 pixels. Larger photos up to 1500 pixels wide will be linked as an optional view.

For discussion forums, the old maximum width was 511 pixels. I think the new maximum is 680 pixels wide. Larger photos will appear as links.

All of this info is correct...sort of.

Gallery images:

Must be less than 3MB and no longer than 1500pix on any side. This is to reduce server load from people who were uploading giant pictures

without resizing at all. There is no reason to upload an image for web

display that is over 1500 pix. I upload my photo.net gallery images at

750-800 pix on the longest side. The default display size for the gallery is 680 wide at the moment. So if you want to make sure that our server does not resize your image much, stay close to that number. Like I said, personally I use 750-800 pix wide for my stuff.

Forum images:

In order to get your image to display in-line (not as a link) it needs to be smaller than 700 pix wide. You can upload larger images, as some people like to do in the digital darkroom forum from time to time, but it will just display as a link to your image and not in-line in the thread itself.