anyone using the DA 18-55mm II? impressions?

xpiotiavos

I bought this lense with my k200d, my first 'digital' camera. My impression has been very favorable. I own and use the Pentax 6x7 and 35mm systems and I own all different focal lengths of the "old" Pentax lenses for both formats . The 18-55 is my first new lense I have purchased in many years . I was a bit leary of the build of it, but it works extremely well and seems to produce quality shots, however I have put on some of the old glass and they are quite nice as well.Bottomline from me is a buy recommendation.<div>00R2vr-75449584.thumb.jpg.4bd1a50604de14b92ee31e4be8940a7e.jpg</div>

Hi Adam , the shot with the ferns was one of the first shots I took with the camera, frankly it looks better on the lcd on the camera, the cemetery shot was taken recently. To tell the truth I'm just learning how to use the 'digital' gear. I'm somewhat disappointed, compared to my film experience. Thanks

My local Pentax dealer (the official one, from Pentax International web page directory) told me it IQ was improved for the 10M sensors, the older can cope only with the 6M generation. If anyone owns both, a simple Imatest run on 10M or greater res body images can tell imediately if resolution was improved.

John, coming from the 6x7 system, i'm not surprised your first response to the K200D + kit lens combination is a bit of

disappointment. the viewfinder on the K200D is no doubt dark compared to what you're used to, and the kit lens is, well,

a kit lens. it's a GREAT kit lens, to be sure, but i image it's got no where near the IQ of your 6x7 glass.

that being said, keep at it. the sensor in your camera is outstanding by all accounts, and the kit lens can be coerced

into getting some pretty fantastic results. my general rules for the 18-55mm (when quality is most important):

1) stay away from the long and short ends. CAs get really noticeable at 18mm, and it's a bit soft at 55mm

2) f/8 is the key.

3) 21-35mm (landscape bread-and-butter) and f/8 and it's as good as any lens on the market for sharpness.

4) take the filters off (assuming you don't buy super high quality filters to go with your sub $100 lens). that SMC coating

is amazing for flare control.