Fungi

terrygilroy

Can someone help please.

I went into the forest (SW Scotland) and photographed some fascinating fungi- please see my Flora and Fungi folder.

Although I have bought a book I am struggling to indentify what some of them are, I would be grateful if some expert

could spare a few minutes to identify them for me. Thanls in advance

FYI regarding fungi: identification keys usually include characteristics of stalk, gills (if any), cap, spore color, size etc. So, photos which are esthetically pleasing may not be the best for identification. Your mushroom book probably has a key in it. Look it over and you'll see the many different features described.
Test

Some fungi are pretty hard for amateurs to identify, especially when they're in an immature stage as in your "fungi 3" and "fungi 9". Not all specimens you find in the field look like the pristine samples in the guide books, either. A tip for photographing them for i.d.: take a small mirror (you can find these in drugstores in the cosmetic department) and set it on the ground beside the fungi, photograph the underside to see the gills, or pores in the boletes. Photograph the stems from the sides, as you did in "fungi 10", sometimes the colour or shape of the stems give clues. I'm still struggling with this, I am by no means an expert, and find that fungi can be as frustrating to sort out as fall warblers or immature sparrows.

You should get a copy of Mushrooms by Roger Phillips. It is IMO the best general guide. Your white fungus is Coprinus comatus. Your black fungus is an Entoloma, such as E. corvum, but without microscopy you do not have a hope. Fungi 2 is most probably Clitocybe dealbata, a deadly poisonous one. Fungi 5 may well be Suillus greveillei, but the details are not shown. Fungi 6 is Collybia maculata. Lactatius (sic) is a Russula. Fungi 4, 10 and 11 are Blushers.

You need to get into the habit of doing an 'autopsy' on a fungus, to determine the features, and then work out the genus, and thence species when possible.

Incidentally, you live in a superb area for fungi, and there are some beauties to be found. Kepp your eye open for Black Trumpets, and Hedgehogs among others.