I am looking at getting an internal HD to store all of my stuff and then use my USB HD as the backup. I saw the

following specs on the Western Digital HD and do not understand what it is saying - see below and the link that

contains the info.

Performance

Drive Transfer Rate 300 MBps (external) / 106 MBps (internal)

http://www.pcuniverse.com/WD-Caviar-Black-WD7501AALS-Hard-drive-750-GB-internal-3.5-SATA-300-

/WD7501AALS/20PK/pd/p4673749

This is an internal HD. So how can it be faster when it is external??? Isn't it always faster when the HD is internal?

Or am I understanding this incorrectly?

Thanks,

John

John, typically, internal HDs are connected to the main board of your computer via SATA. SATA specifications have

up to 3.0 giga*bits* per second of data transfer (after some math, it comes out to 300 mega*bytes* per second).

That's how fast it can theoretically transfer the data to/from your HD. In reality though, the speed is still

limited by how fast your HD spins, and that's how they get the internal speed.

Most HDs have a 7200 RPM speed, while the expensive ones (the ones designed for most bigger computers) have up to

15,000 RPM. It's a lot of math involved, but there are some things to look out for in HD speed:

1. RPM - since most of the time it's 7200, that's not much of an issue.

2. Cache - most of the newer ones come in 8 or 16 or 32 megabytes. The more the merrier.

3. Number of platters and areal density - too difficult to explain, but wikipedia can help clarify.

Most computer sites usually list a review of most common or new hard drives. Unless you are a very meticulous

person, HD speeds won't matter much. Although I would suggest looking at tomshardware.com, anandtech.com and

extremetech.com for guides on hard drives. If you ask me, though, get Seagate or Western Digital -- you can't go

wrong with either. Samsung is still new in the market, so reliability is still an issue for me.

ok great! thanks! I got an internal HD and it is much faster! problem now is that Lightroom still is a bit sluggish when navigating around the program. Not sure if this is "normal" or not.

I have an All-In-Wonder ATI X800 XL video card. How can I determine if this is having performance issues? Is there some way I can determine if its my video card that is the cause of the sluggishness? I would love to eliminate it. I just feel I am sometimes waiting for Lightroom to be catching up to me and it should not be like that.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...