Is DOF right in this photo?

jukka1

Hello.

I have focused to the nearest funeral-tone.

Is DOF right so does my cameras focus work right?

In princeple, there should be 1/3 in front of stone and 2/3 behind the stone in focus.

I don't know how to look?

How does it seem in your opinion?

It has been taken with rolleiflex e.

I mean, does it work right or should I send it to calibration?

Sincerely, Jukka<div>00R2Jr-75129684.jpg.ccc7a12f4cc27877d212e0541d8c0846.jpg</div>

DOF is not related to calibration of focusing mechanism, it's related to the aperture selected and focal lenght of the lens.

So, if the point where you focused is sharp, the focusing mechanism is well calibrated, if you find that the the sharpest point is before or after the plane where you focused, the focusing mechanism need to be calibrated. As you can understand only you can judge it becaus only you know where you exactly focused.

Anyway, to obtain the max DOF you must focus at a distance twice the nearest plane you want in focus and select ana ppropiate diaphragm.

Hope this help.

Hello, if you want to test your camera for right focusing, take a photo with full open diaphragm, and with objects quite close to the

camera.

One good thing is to get three minifigs (Lego, Playmobil or so... ), place the camera on a tripod, or on the extremity of a table, place the

minifigs to a certain distance from the camera, making sure no one is at the same distance from the camera, and each can be seen on

the picture, and close enough to its center.

Focus on the middle one, and shoot.

If the middle one is not the sharpest over one of the others, or if it is not sharp enough (you'll see it on the "ground" near the feet of the

minifigs) you need a calibration.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I think I had fooled myself and didn't answer to the question.

If you were asking if the DOF was good for the composition, I'll say that perhaps you should have shot with diaphragm a

little more opened, if you only wanted the first funeral tone to be sharp, but if you wanted the whole tones to be in DOF, you

should then have focussed on the one in the center of the frame, and then closed a little more the diaphragm.