CANON MARK III "BURNED" - DID THIS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU?

ron_s6

Wow o.O

I use a 40D and sometimes it smells weird too when I change lenses but it has never burned before :) Maybe

someone

used parts from a older EOS 1D Mark(?) which could be more temperature sensitive? They could still have some

parts from other 1D cameras and maybe sometimes they use them when replacing the mirror. I don't know, it's really

strange.

Since this burning event took place after you sent it to Canon for a mirror and software update, perhaps something happened at the Canon shop. In the process of replacing the mirror a component got damaged to cause overheating. I'd send it back to Canon for a possible replacement.

Hi Ron,

Wow, i've never seen that happen and i work in a big camera repair shop. I'd say the most plausible explanation for that damage would be light entering through the viewfinder, and overheating the light baffles in the mirrorbox. It's unlikely that an overheating of the circuits would cause that in that area of the camera but possible in theory.

Good luck,

Mark

The camera is always in a camera bag even when left inside the car during a sunny day. Will it be possible that this can

happen while I am shooting out there in the sun while the camera is hanging on my shoulder? But it's weird, Canon should

know better than making a camera that can cause that to happen. I suspect bad electronic short circuit or something.

Sorry, I am not too techy to know these. =) Thanks for all of you who gave insights on this.

Ron asked (and we didn't answer): "Will it be possible that this can happen while I am shooting out there in the sun while the camera is hanging on my shoulder?"

For this to happen, the camera would have to be relatively motionless, with the sun oriented near the dead bottom of the frame. I don't know how long it would take. It really depends on how fast the lens is. However, I would think it would take at least a good fraction of a minute. To answer your own question, focus the sunlight on a piece of black electrical tape with the lens that would have been mounted on your camera.