My viewsonic vp930 monitor has died and i have been offered an alternative by viewsonic under warranty. It looks like

my only choices are the newer vp950 or the widescreen vp2250. has anyone either of these monitors? i presume

these are the models to go for in the viewsonic range if any rather than the vx or vg models?

can anyone offer some advice? Remember i am limited to viewsonic models and so don't require advice on alternative

maunufacturers which may be better

Edward Ingold wrote this not so long ago on another post.

"..The Viewsonic VP2250 ($450) received a good review in Shutterbug, October 2008. I have a VP191 with which I am

pleased. Both have all the local adjustments you need to facilitate calibration - I use Eye-One Photo. At this

price level, the video processors are probably 6-bit, however the dithering is very smooth. I can't speak for the

2250 buy my monitor sometimes shows slight banding in high-contrast gradients like sunsets, which do not appear

on prints. The 2250 has a gamut 106% of NTSC standards, wider than Adobe RGB and (of course) sRGB.

A 22-23 inch wide-screen monitor has the same height as a typical 4:3, 19 inch screen. I find this to be a

comfortable working size, and a 16:9 would have plenty of room on the sides to put your Photoshop menus outside

the working area..."

heres the original link

http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00QZuC

They've just done to you what they did to me recently. I sent them an 8-bit P-MVA panel for repair (VX2025WM) and got a 6-bit TN panel in return (VX2035WM).

My advice: take the one that sells for the best price on Ebay, sell it, and buy a decent (non Viewsonic) 8-bit monitor to replace the one they refuse to replace with a proper substitute.

Viewsonic have become a bunch of crooks.

The banding in gradients is blatant in my "replacement" monitor.

Mike E., you have a lovely P-MVA panel in your monitor. Pray it never breaks. My incident began a couple of months ago when my VX2025 DVI input died. It seems Viewsonic is no longer using P-MVA panels, so whatever you send them that has broken, it's a crap shoot what you get back. If they happen to have older P-MVA panels to send you back, you're a lucky one. Most of us are getting TN panels back. First thing I did was display a grayscale gradient that looked like a beautiful smooth gray ramp on the old monitor. The new monitor displayed obvious gray bands.

My VX2025 calibrated ok ... a bit lighter than prints but the color seemed good. My cheap calibrator doesn't set brightness/contrast, you have to eyeball that.

Mike, I think the number of people who "care" about the quality of the panel in the monitor are low enough to not matter to them. They seem to have chosen to abandon high quality panels aimed at a graphic/photography market and go for the fast cheap panels favored by gamers. They really should have had a better plan to take care of those of us who bought their better monitors.

Lesson learned.

What really needs to be established is the defintion of what constitutes a quality display.

When the warrantee agreement states the manufacturer will replace one defective product with another product of equal

quality, that implies a definition exists. Supplying digital imaging enthusiasts with an S-IPS panel is all the quality assurance

they need and is not that hard to do.

Fortunately this web page:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

...shows magnified macro close-ups of the texture pattern created by different LCD panels including S-IPS and I can confirm

using a magnifying glass on my own 2004 G5 iMac that I KNOW is equipped with such a panel that these patterns are quite

accurate.

You'll need to scroll down the page to get to these close-ups.

This is a review of one of the cheapest high quality Samsung TN panels you could probably buy at the time the review was

posted:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_245b.htm

Note that it can be calibrated within 2 DeltaE average, but I still wouldn't want it because of the terrible viewing angles and the

fact it's a 6 bit panel which means there will be some image anomolies that may get in the way of editing.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the VP2250wb and as I just mentioned in another thread, it has turned out to be a GREAT monitor, with some drawbacks.

Cons:

1. The driver software is extremely buggy - it worked great when I first installed it, and has gotten progressively worse, as of late.

2. Without calibration, the monitor is almost unusable for color-accurate photo editing.

3. Without calibration, the SRGB profile is ultra saturated and is very high on reds and blues (to the point of bleeding).

I strongly recommend this monitor IF:

1. You can't afford or can't justify an EIZO or Apple.

2. You're ready to run a colorimeter on it, right out of the box..... in fact, order the Spyder2Suite with it, so that you don't have to deal with the poor colors of this monitor, out of the box.

3. You're going to do dedicated photo editing - I don't think this monitor would be good for gamers or videographers.

The Spyder2Suite is on clearance at Amazon right now for $69.90 (from $169):

http://www.amazon.com/ColorVision-Spyder2-Suite-Win-Mac/dp/B000ES6K34/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225494765&sr=8-1

Peter www.nativecophoto.com