Made the Jump

jeffrey_aiello_photography

Well, I thorougly enjoy my D300, much better than my D200 IMHO. For landscapes, I've been shooting the D300

and my 12-24 DX lens and my 28-72 F/2.8. Well yesterday I made the jump to the D700, ordered it from B&H. I

also ordered the 17-55 f/2.8. Hopfully the 700 - 17-55 will be a great combo. I'll post pics when they arrive.

Jeff

B&H is closed for 2.5 days (yesterday afternoon, today and tomorrow) for the Jewish new year.

If they haven't shipped it, they won't ship until at least Thursday. In the mean time, nobody will answer the phone,

either. But you have plenty of time to get this corrected, if necessary.

OK.. thanks for pointing this out.. this is what I ordered...

Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 D-AFS LENS - NI173528DAFS

it does not show anywhere that it is a DX lens.. Is IT???

B&H shows.. as does nikonusa.com that the 17-55 f/208 IS a DX lens..

So.. now that's my heart's starting to beat again.. I think I ordered the correct.. ie. NON-DX lens... wow.. that got my hear pounding!!!

Jeff

Jeff,

Would love to hear your comparison between the two when you've had a chance to really use the D700. I shoot landscapes almost exclusively (with the exception of my two young kids!). I've been anxious to hear a real review from and end user/owner.

Congrats on the new purchase. Nothing like waiting for the UPS truck delivering something like that! Like being a kid again!

Best of luck! Do share.

Josh, not sure exactly which comparison you want. I have done some preliminary comparison between the D700 w/ 14-24 and 17-35 vs. the D300 w/ 12-24mm/f4. If you need to do a lot of wide angle work, which is common for landscape, having FX is definitely more convenient.

The 17-35mm/f2.8 AF-S is a very good wide angle zoom while the 14-24mm/f2.8 is an outstanding wide zoom within its limited range. The 17-35 is more versatile but in the range they overlap, the 14-24 is wonderful.

But the D300 with 12-24mm/f4 really holds it own. For shooting building interiors, that lens at 12mm is still very good. At infinity, the edge at 12mm is mediocre.