Bookstore in NYC recommendation

sheygetz

I will be in NYC next weekend (from Germany), a good opportunity to stock up on some photography books. Any

recommendations as to a "real" bookshop carrying a wide assortment at good prices? I considered ordering from

Amazon, but what with their shipping rates and timings and the fact we'll be changing hotels every couple of

days, maybe that is not a good idea.

Thanks Hendrik

The best phto book store was Photographer's Place on Mercer St. The owner, Harvey Zucker was probably pushed out by the high rents. He sometimes sets up a table on Mercer St. and sells photo books and old tintypes & prints. If he is not around the Strand Bookstore on Broadway and 12th St has a lot of photo and art books. The rents in the city have gotten so high that only big businesses and guys who sell lottery tickets can afford them.

Another fantastic shop is Dashwood Books (www.dashwoodbooks.com) , located at 33 Bond Street between Lafayette and

Bowery. Great selection of interesting books, although it can get a bit pricey. Very helpful staff. The Strand is a good bet

too, and I heard they might be having some sort of sale right now. Good luck.

B&H is a large camera store but it doesn't have large selection of books. I would't go out of my way unless you happen to be there for the camera equipment.

What photography books do you seek? Fine art or technique? Old or new. Digital or film?

Strand Books has a location downtown near the South Street Seaport. Their books are secondhand mostly. They have an eclectic selection of mostly art and collections. There are some technique books. Mostly it's luck as to what you'll find, much like in an antique store.

Barnes and Noble has locations all around the city and they all have a selection of photography books. Borders books is another chain. They carry new titles that you will see on Amazon. The advantage is being able to browse the books at your leisure before purchase. A large Barnes and Noble store is at Lincoln Center.