Nikon F3 batteries + switching it on

peter_macejka

Sorry for the most basic question, but I am having problems switching my newly purchased F3 on. I didn't get the

manual with the camera and can't seem to find what batteries it takes. It looks like it would take two

(SR44,S76E, V76PX) type batteries same as my OM2n, but it doesn't turn on. (I have moved the front right lever to

the right to show the red dot.)

I should also mention at the moment I don't own any manual glass and have my AF 24-120VR lens on. Since it

doesn't have the aperture ring, I though this may be effecting it.

I also bought a MD-4 motordrive with the camera and when I put half new, half fairly new AA batteries in it, I

could make it work. When I look inside, there doesn't appear to be any corrosion on the contacts, but there is a

small patch of something like dried battery fluid on the bottom. When I scratch it, it smells like darkroom

chemicals. Is there something wrong with it? How do you switch it on?

After searching for answers to these problems for a while, I am left feeling very stupid indeed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

Yes, it takes two SR44 batteries. Make sure that the battery contacts are clean and that the red dot is showing on the switch on the top. Now press on the shutter button and at the same time look at the small LCD display in the viewfinder (top left, above the frame). When the shutter button is pressed you should get at least some display here. The F3 does not really do much when it is 'on' - no lights or sound.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

The contacts look clean, the red dot is showing and I put in two new SR44 batteries, unfortunately no signs of life in the LCD display. I forgot to mention that the shutter only fires when use what i think is the back-up mechanical lever, but I presume this is because it doesn't have any power from the batteries.

Anything else you can thinks of?

Well, I suggest you try the motordrive again - this time with fresh batteries - sometimes the button cells can be bad straight from the pack. Clean off the corrosion first though.

The F3 has a flexible circuit, and sometimes this can develop a 'short' and stop working. A full service is required then. It sounds like this could be the case with your F3, but try fresh batteries first. The LCD display can fail, but if the camera is not working at all, it sounds like there is an electronic fault.

Out of interest, what happens when you push the small red button for the LCD display light? You should see a dim glow in the LCD display when the light levels are low.

Ian

Thanks again. I will try the motordrive with other batteries tomorrow, and see if that helps.

Nothing happens when I push the small red button for the LCD display light. Is it the one on the viewfinder itself?

The F3 and MD-4 were eBay purchase's that just arrived today. It was stated as excellent + and visually it looks better. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the company to sort this out if it doesn't work.

I'll keep you posted about the motordrive tomorrow.

Peter

Thanks everyone for your help.

I got both the F3 and the MD-4 to work today. I don't believe it, but it was the batteries in both cases. I

opened a new pack of 4 AA's yesterday and used 4 one day old batteries so I thought I should be ok. Today I put

in eight new energizer advanced batteries and it worked.

With the F3, I tried 2 LR44 batteries and it worked. I don't know how they are different if at all, because they

look the same as the SR44 batteries, but it worked.

However, I cannot see the f -stop in the viewfinder, but as I stated earlier for the moment I only have AF glass.

Am I right in thinking it isn't showing up because there isn't an aperture ring on AF lenses?

Many thanks for trying to figure it out for me. Sorry for wasting your time.

Peter

Thanks Lex and Edwin.

I'm able to borrow some lenses from a friend who isn't using his. He has the 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 105mm/2.5 and the 180mm/2.8. I'll see how I like the camera and the glass and go about getting my own.

The reason I got the F3 is because i want to use it for travel to complement a D200.

I currently have an Olympus OM2n, OM 24mm/2.8, 35mm/2.8 shift, 50mm/1.4 and 100mm/2.8. I have also just bought an OM4 and want to compare the two systems before selling one. I am hoping I like the F3, as I would like to use AIS lenses on the D200.

Thanks again for all the help and comments.

Peter