CLA'd Leica M3 mechanical SNAP sound issue

<p>Hey folks, looking for some knowledge here. I have a Leica M3 (1960) which has been CLA'd not too long ago. If the shutter dial is set to 1000 and then turned down through the speeds to 1/2 and 1 second, as the dial goes from 1/2 to one second there is a loud SNAP sound within the body. HOWEVER - if the dial is first set to 500 or 250 or any other speed and then turned to 1 second, there is NO snap sound. The snap sound is only related to having FIRST been set to the 1000 speed setting. My other M3 (1959) does not do this (also CLA'd), nor does my brother's M3 (1960), also CLA'd.<br>

Does anyone know what would cause this SNAP sound? To me, anyway, this appears to be just not right.<br /><br />P.S. I do not have any photos made at slow speeds yet to test shutter operation at 1/2 and 1 second.</p>

"My film died of exposure."

<p>I avoid whomsoever/whosoever because I'm never sure which is correct! In Mukul's post, if it is the object of 'send it to' then perhaps it should be whomsoever. But if it's the subject of the verb 'did' the CLA then perhaps it should be whosoever. In Stephen's post I think it should be whoever. Let's start a thread! Whatever, my M6 doesn't make a snap noise so I think Keith should get it investigated.</p>

The marvellous English language seems to be evolving faster than ever Mukul. I marvel at the range and depth (and

beauty) of your acquaintance and family and know myself that regular contact with young people, not just my own

children, is the only way to keep up.

<p>Hey everyone, thank you "whomsoever" (hee hee) all so much for the responses. I did contact the original servicing/restoration facility with my question, and during this time frame the facility craftsman also saw my post here at Photo.net and responded directly to me via email.<br>

Here is the response I received <edited to delete identity of poster; this is their business to post their identity only if they so choose, or additional information as they may so desire, and I do not wish to do anything of ethical question at any site by using names for which I have not received explicit permission.><br>

QUOTE FROM EMAIL:<br>

Hi Keith!<br>

Just finished reading your post on Pnet.<br>

Similar to a freshly serviced Leica; sometimes because surfaces are cleaner and springs tighter, there may be sounds that weren't heard before: <br>

.i.e. The slow speed escapement resetting or "bouncing back".<br>

Your particular noise complaint is emanating from your 2nd curtain latch that is now clean & more fluid. This latch has a smooth cam surface on it's backside, that with old lube can only reset itself during the advance/charging stage of the shutter. Your M3 no longer has congealed lube preventing this action from occurring, so with a full travel of the speed dial, this reset movement is now audible.<br>

{Sentence removed by Keith} . . . If this complex & abstract explanation isn't sufficient, then in an attempt to give credence to my facts, I can certainly take the time to fire off macro images of the mechanisms involved. Or offer to you (if this noise is unacceptable), to send it back to me for intentional weakening of the pressure spring that presses an arm that slides on the cam surface (during a discharged state) of the 2nd curtain latch.<br>

Sincerely, {name removed by Keith} UNQUOTE<br>

So now we know. Mechanical pressure, lubrication effects, spring rate, etc. And of course I will not send the M3 back as this is a non-issue, and does not affect operation. It is also an interesting new fact learned concerning a sometimes seen characteristic of this marvelous camera. Gotta love learning new things about Leica's!!<br>

UPDATE: My brother's M3 has now been verified that it, too, has the same snap sound to it when tested exactly as I have described. Likely there are many more of these out there, simply going unnoticed due to camera-specific issues and the particular method implemented in order to see it.</p>

<p>Gus - "THANK YOU!" You did the most amazing job restoring my M3 and SUMMI 50 DR to better than factory new <space-age better lubes than the original 1950's-60's lubes>. AWESOME . . . . and for anyone thinking of utilizing Gus, . . . . well worth getting in his ever-increasing line! Additionally you will get good communications, an up-front detailed evaluation and accurate estimate, PLUS. . . . the valuable script 'L' seal.</p>