Kirk Ballheads

sunny_from_the_sunshine_st

I am planning to invest in a ball head to go along with my Bogen tripod.

I have done some research and there are some good ones out there.

I have narrowed my search to the two Kirk ball heads.BH1 and BH3.

Apart from the load it can handle , are there any other major differences between the two.

I use Nikon D 300 with Nikon 70-200 2.8 my heaviest lens.

My question is : will BH1 be an overkill for my setup ; on the other hand will BH3 suffice for me stability wise.

I understand that BH1 would definitely be more stable.

There is a $ 100 price difference between the two.

Thanks ~ Anis

You're getting a nice ballhead either way. I'd spend the extra $100 for the BH1 unless you have some concern about the added weight (only 11 oz more). If the slightly increased weight doesn't bother you, you'll get a ballhead for life for sure for only $100 more. I've never regretted paying up, and I've frequently regretted trying to skimp and save a couple of bucks.

Thank you all for your valuable advise.There is no denying the fact that what you pay for is what you get.It makes more sense in this situation as a good ball head could last a lifetime as Chris mentioned. I actually have a Wimberly head that i use exclusively for my Sigma 400-800 lens.

It would be impractical to us such a monster for lighter lens'.

I will let you guys know what i finally go for.

~ Anis

Anis: Not to disagree with the above responses in any way, but I have found the Kirk BH-3 in conjunction with the

Canon 40D and the Canon 70-200/f2.8 to work just fine using the lens mount. For my purposes weight was a factor,

but I have never had even the slightest concern about the BH-3 being robust enough to handle the above

combination. You do get what you pay for in most cases, but here if this is the most you will ask of the Kirk, I would

save the $100.00 and go with the BH-3.