SB800 in commander mode does not always flash. Why?

photosbyasher

I find that sometimes my SB800 does not flash when set up in commander mode.

To be more specific, my D300 and SB800 are both properly set in commander mode. I can go a few frames with my

SB800 flashing as it should and then suddenly it begins not to flash. Has anyone encountered this problem? If so,

what is causing it and what do I need to do to prevent or fix it?

Lastly, All of this occurs when my GP 2700 rechargeable batteries are fully charged.

Thanks in advance

Asher

Matt, you expressed it better than I did. My D300 was set in commander mode and my flash was set as a slave. But you bring up auto-save mode and this is something I will look at right now If the SB800 is set to go into auto standby mode, will it prevent the flash from working as a slave?

Asher: Yes, if the SB-800 goes to sleep (to save battery power), if won't fire. Here's the thing: even if you've just charged a set of batteries, it only takes one marginal battery in the set to cause the SB-800 to think it's feeling a lower overall voltage. What charger are you using? With most of the less expensive ones, as soon as even one battery in the set that's being charged reaches a certain voltage level, the charger switches into trickle charge mode. So, the charger may show that it's done, but you may actually have a very uneven charge across the whole set. Consider a charger that treats each battery individually (LaCrosse and Maha make good ones).

If you have a good, solidly charged set of batteries, there's not much harm in turning off the automatic standby mode on the SB-800. Using up the batteries a little faster is no problem compared to missing the shot!

But I believe it WILL go into standby once it feels low voltage from the batteries, either way. Now that you mention it, though, I use my SB-800 in both SU-4 mode (when mixing with other sources) and in normal CLS/iTTL mode as a slave... so, can't swear when I've observed that behavior when dealing with bum batteries. It definitely will slip into standby faster on low voltage than it will when well-supplied... but I don't recall if that behavior differs from one slave mode to the next. Guess I have to RTFM!

Matt, thanks for your comprehensive answers and I think you have really nailed it. I am using GP 2700 rechargeable batteries and though

the charging specs recommend charging for 14 hours, I usually give my GP 2700's 24 hours. There is no danger of overcharging with

them. On ocassion, I have had a weak battery in a group and this could be when I have these flash failures. Today, I spent about 4 hours

on several websites reading EVERYTHING I could about my SB800's and I decided to disable the automatic power saver. I then ran many

many test shots with them and they are working perfectly. ALSO, I have learned that if there is any backflash into the sensor of the

master (in my case, my D300) the SB800 gives a loud and long shrill warning tone as the flashes become all confused in TTL

mode while working as slaves. I believe that this also contributed to my problem. Thanks for your input, and to everyone else who took

the time to reply to me.

NOW THEN-

On another track...tonight....! tonight....! I bought my first SB900 and I am so amazed by this flash. I took it to my window, in the pitch

black of night, together with my 70-200 VR mounted to my lovely D300 and from several floors above the street began shooting across the

street, into a dark tree and on and on and the results were so good!!! I am sure the neighbors were not too pleased but I believe they are

getting used to me alreadywith my NIKONS firmly strapped to me day and night.

Have a good day to all.

"backflash into the sensor of the master (in my case, my D300) the SB800 gives a loud and long shrill warning tone

as the flashes become all confused in TTL mode while working as slaves. I believe that this also contributed to my

problem." - yes, in some cases the SB-800 provides visible and audible sounds of problems, and I hope SB-900

continues with these warnings, for those who understand their equipment and are willing to take corrective action.

Others will continue saying :"contributed to my problem" - and the problem is what ? - not knowing or paying

attention what flash is telling you, and not taking corrective action.

Constructive criticism accepted. Frank you are absolutely right. I saw a great lighting piece on You Tube last night and

one of the key messages the photographer was imparting is that it is extremely necessary to take the time and think

before and during the set up of lighting and to make any changes if necessary once the shoot goes ito real time. He

emphasized the need to slow down and not fire and splash, meaning fire away, splash light and hope that a good or even

great image comes out of it.

You comments Frank underscored last night's You Tube, because I should have read the SB800 manual more carefully

to begin with. I have already read the SB900 manual once and will do so again until I really get the subtle nuances of the

device. Then it is off to real time testing and then use of this lovely device.

Have a nice weekend.

Asher

Keep us posted, Asher. Mastering the use of strobes is a challenge, but the flexibility and results are very rewarding. Taking control of the light you use in your images is one sign of someone who is really thinking about the eventual image he wants to produce. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

This is an update as you Matt, requested.

I have deactivated the standby node on my SB800's and it seems that it has rectified my flash failure problems.

Also, your comments regarding weak batteries was spot on.

I have been THOROUGHLY enjoying using my flashes creating pretty, colourful and well lighted images.

Last week, I photographed a sound studio in action and it was very crowded.

I left my monolights outside the studio door and took my SB800's and 900 out of my LLowepro bag and got to work.

My flashes gave me blazing rich images as I moved them around and put the light exactly where I needed it.

Oh, Nikon is so pleasant to use!!!

Have a nice day

Asher