Digital Photo Professional & PhotoNet

ryourth

Recently have started using DPI for my images & am very happy with the resuts.The colours are excellent & very

lifelike & to me the image has a ceretain brightness or luminous, not the brighness control where you can make

everything brighter or darker.. It is hard to describe, perhaps you could say the images glow. However, downloading

the image to PN this glow is lost. Trying to compensate by altering thr brigtness & saturation to compensate does

not work. Any suggestions? Thanks-Ross

-- "Recently have started using DPI for my images"

I assume "DPI" should be read as "DPP".

-- "However, downloading the image to PN this glow is lost."

A blind guess ... are you using AdobeRGB colorspace for your images? Not all browsers and not even all viewers are capable to handle such images properly. In that case, convert the same Raw file to sRGB, resize and upload to Pnet and check if that makes a difference.

Also, check if the effect only happens with resized images. Post an (unresized) crop of an image. This should not lose its glow...but if it does, the process of resizing is not to blame, since it wasn't resized (just cropped).

I have never figured out DPP.. it seems cumbersome and slow. I have not dug into to it too hard, but I just get frustrated after ten minutes of using it and wonder why it exists. However, I see some folks really like it, so perhaps I would think of it differently if I could push through the frustration barrier

Shawn

Thanks to all for voicing your opinions. Rainier- Took your advice & switched to sRGB & noticed a definite improvement.. Was surprised to learn that sRGB is the standard color space for Windows & is widely used for the standard color space for monitors, digital cameras & scanners.Thanks again. Best regards-Ross

thanks for raising the question Ross, i've been seeing the same problem myself with uncropped, undownsized images as i could see amazing colours in DPP for an image, but when it becomes the desktop background the colour's off. the worst is when the same picture comes up in the windows screen saver, it looked almost like i took the picture thru a glass - a little soft and semi-desaturated colours...

>>sRGB is the standard color space for Windows & is widely used for the standard color space for monitors<<

...and the WWW. Working with colorspace(s) is something that everyone getting into digital imaging should learn

first. Each colorspace has a function and a place.

As far as DPP is concerned, the program is good and works quite well but, it's NOT meant to be a full blown

digital imaging editor at the level of PS. For photographs it works quite well and it even has some interesting

features, especially when converting from RAW.

Shawn, Mendel....what is so slow and difficult and cumbersome about Canon DPP? It's so simple to use. I'm surprised you can even use a computer at all if you find DPP so hard! Seriously though, it's well worth getting to know it properly and the learning curve really ain't that steep.

I occasionally use DPP for high ISO RAW conversions, then pass the image over to Photoshop (CS2 currently, seems

I nearly always skip a generation with PS).

But most of the time I just use Bridge/ACR/PS. It's a lot faster for me.

Yes, I suspect the original poster's problem is most likely RGB/sRGB or possibly calibration and profiling.

I always shoot RGB, but for the web I'll convert a copy to sRGB. I often find I need to tweak saturation and/or

contrast a bit after converting to sRGB.