Need Help Choosing Camera Nikon D80 VS D60 and Canon XSi

oscar_hernandez

Hello,

There are tons of cameras out there and I have been doing my research and I have now narrowed my search to the

Nikon D60, D80 and the Canon XSi.

Im a techie and always want the latest and greatest for the price.

What I want to use my camera for is:

- Nature pictures

- Photography : portraits of Family

- black and White portraits.

- Landscape nature pictures

I just can't seem to make up my mind for the price.

What I have found in regards to price is the following:

Nikon D80 ( body only ): $560 10 Megapixel

Nikon D60 with Lens: $568 10 Megapixel

Canon XSI with Lens $640 12 Megapixel ( I know this is the Nikon section so hopefully I can still get

an honest opinion)

Would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Thank you.

You really need to go to a store and get your hands on each one. The feel and ergonomics of each body will be different, and you will likely like one much better than the other (as far as brands anyway). This is why I went with NIkon. I thought I wanted the Rebel XT, until I handled one in the store next to the d40/d40x. For me, the d40x felt much better in my hands.

As far as deciding between the d60 and d80, the d60 is newer and has a better and updated processor (Expeed) than the d80, but has some limitations that the d80 does not (smaller viewfinder, unable to AF older Nikon lenses, 3-point AF system vs. 11-point AF system, less external controls for different functions, among some others). The d80 is a bit bigger also, but not terribly.

I started out with the d40x as a gift from my family, and added/upgraded lenses as I learned a bit more, and then decided to buy the d80 once the price went down, mainly for the bigger viewfinder and a better fit to my hands, and a few other features that I intend to put to use in the future (ability to AF some older lenses, commander mode for flash, bracketing, shooting RAW+jpeg fine, ...).

If I were to make a recommendation to you between the d60 and d80, at this point, I would lean towards the d60. It is a great camera to learn on, produces wonderful jpegs right out of the camera, comes with a nice all-around lens to start out with that has VR (vibration reduction). Since you aren't invested in lenses already, the d60's inability to AF with older lenses isn't a big concern for you at this point. Once you learn the ropes a bit and if your desire to take more creative shots increases, you can upgrade your body to whatever latest and greatest camera body that is out there at that time. Until then, you can add lenses as you find need for them, and keep them to use with your next body.

As far as a recommendation between Nikon and Canon, you really need to try both out in a store and find which one "feels" best for you. If that is Canon, then post a question in the Canon forum about which body to buy there!

Good luck!

i have no experience with canons, but the xsi is supposed to have pretty good IQ. if i was going to go that route, though, i'd take a look at the 30D on closeout for $699. if you can live with 8 mp, it's a step up from entry level otherwise.

as far as nikons, the big difference between d80 and d60 is the d80's ability to AF with non AF-S lenses. that means you can get the 50/1.8; with the d60, you're looking at an extra $400 for the 50/1.4 AF-S (or the sigma 30/1.4) if you want a prime that can AF. this also comes into play with older nikon lenses and 3rd party offerings.

for $560, the d80 is a really good deal. (btw, d90 can use non AF-S lenses).

What is really your budget? Those are good entry level cameras and my advice is to go to the store, play around with all three cameras and see what you are comfortable with. Don't get caught up with the "Megapixels". Just make sure you get the body only option and decide which lens will suit your style better. I don't shoot landscape, only portraits so I suggest:

Nikon

85mm 1.8

50mm 1.8

70-200 2.8

105 2.8 VR.

If you don't mind third party lenses(Cheaper) then check out Sigma and Tamron

I agree that the extra $400 is better invested in another lens, a flash, or a nice tripod. You can get the d60 plus the 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR for $999 from Best Buy (maybe less from somewhere else), same price as the d90 body only. That would be a very capable kit for a beginner. Don't forget to allocate funds for accessories such as SD cards, spare battery, camera bag, etc...

Oscar, if you are a casual photographer, the Canon Rebel line (including the XSi) or the Nikon D40/D60 are good. If you are a more serious photographer, I would get something like a Canon 40D or Nikon D80/D90. In that sense the D80 is a wonderful deal right now at close out prices.

It is a good idea to visit a camera store and handle those cameras yourself.

So I looked at the differences between the D80 and the D60 and I don't really see the big difference between the two. Pretty much I want to decide between the D80 and the D60.

The D80 worries me in regards to it being 2 years old. Does the D60 being Newer have better features?

Or should I stick to the D80 close out deals they have now?

Oscar, the D60 uses exactly the same sensor as the D80. The D60 was introduced more recently, but some of the components are old. The D80 gives you a lot of additional features such as AF with non AF-S lenses, e.g., the popular 50mm/f1.8, 85mm/f1.8, 35mm/f2, 24mm/f2.8, etc., 11 AF points instead of 3, the convenience of two command dials, separate top and back LCD readouts, on-demand grid lines inside the viewfinder to keep the horizon straight, the pop-up flash can serve as a CLS commander to control wireless flashes, genuine Nikon veritcal grip option .... The differences are many and major.

As I pointed out earlier, the D80 has a well known exposure issue. I don't think it is a deal breaker, but unfortunately it is a little bigger than minor.

Now the D90 is being sold there will inevitably be bargains available on the D80. The D80 is a classic DSLR and

the exposure problems mentioned are nothing compared to all the camera's advantages. It is so easily dealt with

anyway by dialling in minus .7 of a stop and leaving it there. Often, for grab-shots, I use the 'Auto' setting

and the camera makes brilliant decisions all by itself.. Go for it !

Assuming you've already held all 3 and are happy with their ergonomics, I'd personally go for the D80 just for the AF ability and a couple other features like a second command dial, status window, etc. I'm still waiting for them to drop just a little more and then I'll try to procure one for myself as a second body.

Oscar,

Though I don't have the Nikon D90, I think it would be far and away better for landscape photography than the D80

(which I do have), or the D60. The Nikon D90 has the big advantage of Active D-Lighting. This feature allows one to

optimize highlight and shadow detail, in camera. Very important in landscape work. After recently seeing ADL in action,

I am so impressed that I am seriously thinking of upgrading to the D90.

I must add the caveat that I shoot JPEG exclusively and make almost all of my image adjustments in camera. This is a

carryover from having to shoot transparency film for the majority of my professional career. The preprocessing potential

of the Nikon D90 is very exciting and represents the future of digital photography technology, in my opinion. I don't know

how professionals with high work volume have the time to mess around with NEF or raw files.

You have to look at each system which one has most AF lenses to choose from, accessories, flashes, resale value...etc How many lenses are you going to buy in the future. Advantage of Nikon is most MF and AF lenses are compatible. However, are you going to buy older MF or non AFS lenses? Canon has more AF lenses but EFS lenses not compatible with FF bodies. If you have XSI which is cropped sensors, all canon EF lenses are compatible.

Nikon has 27 AFS lenses, Canon has 46 USM lenses

Does higher MP matter to you? Does resale value matter? check ebay. For one body, one lens solution. It does not matter on either system.

"So I looked at the differences between the D80 and the D60 and I don't really see the big difference between the two."

that's because the biggest difference is a subtle one: the d60 has no internal motor. this is huge when it comes to lens selection. if you will never, ever upgrade from a kit lens, get a d60. if you think you might ever want, i dont know, a fast prime lens, an older nikkor, or a 3rd party lens, you'd be better off with d80. it may be two years old but as shun pointed out it has the same sensor as d60. this si something that will come into play after the new camera glow has worn off and you start looking at lenses you 'need'.

It seems the D60 is a "tweener". It doesn't take any better pictures than the D40 and doesn't have all the features of the D80. Yes, it's newer than both, but perhaps not better in any really important way. The AF-S only restriction is what has kept me from getting a D40. I have too many MF lenses to get something less than a D200. I need to win or inherit something to brake this stalemate.

Well, I have D80 and love this camera I also own D40x and in order for me to access ISO and WB as well as the aperture I need to go trough bunch of screens D80 on theother had has the buttons for each function plus a second command dial whitch is a very nice feature so I'd for D80 oh it also allows you to use non AF-S lenses something to think about.

JMHO

regards,

• 1 month later...

The D60 works well for the price however.... with a lack of an in-body focusing motor you'll have less of a lens selection than the D80/90. I bought ht e D60 back in July and it is a great camera but NONE of the lens I use on my F4 or F5 work on it (no auto focus).

-my 2 cents