Nedd help with lenses

ryan_tracy

I am purchasing my first dslr and I am going with the canon 50d. My questions is on the the glass, what aftermarket

glass is a good choice. I see many different brands and prices. I hear from everyone that its much more the glass

thats important vs the body and thats why I am going with a mid price body but still has good features. I would like a

good all around everyday lens, wildlife and one for landscapes. Any help would be great. Thanks for your time

Ryan

On 1.6-factor, the 15Mpixels of the new 50D is really going to show up any shortcomings in your lenses. The EF-S 17~55/2.8IS should deliver the goods. Another lens of which you could be very confident is the 70~200/4L IS, and that also works very well with the Extender 1.4x. The combination is long enough for a reasonable range of wildlife work on a 1.6-factor body.

For landscape the 10-22 is better than the 17-55 as it is wider and has better flare resistance. For wildlife the 100-400 is very good but if weight or price is an issue, the 70-300 will also do.

But wait, what is your budget? When you say wildlife, what exactly do you mean? And do you have any problems with lenses 1.5 Kg. or more? These questions must be answered before giving any useful tips.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

My favourite everyday/walkaround is the 24-70 f2.8/L. USD 1,190 :(

My favourite wildlife is the 300 f4/L (USD 1,200 :( ) with the 1.4 extender.

My favourite landscape is the 16-35 f2.8/L (USD 1,450) or even the 70-200 f4/L (USD 580), depending on what you're

doing.

Basically, I love 'L' glass & even I can tell the difference in contrast & sharpness. I assume the 50d 15MP will show up

any deficiencies of lenses.

Also, you need to think about when you replace the 50d in 3 years time, probably with a full frame 5DMkII then. Then

you'll need all the edge sharpness you can get!