The New Voigtlander Bessa III 667 camera - Nice !!

db1

Especially because it is a 120 FILM camera.

Dan is quite right. The modern lens, electronic shutter, and AE make this not even remotely comparable to a Super Ikonta. Why buy a new Corvette when you can get a perfectly good one made 40 years ago? The answer is, technology has changed a little.

I'll probably do what Steve does and keep using my antiques, but I'm still excited.

When it's Spring there. That will even out the availability a bunch. I will be in the front of the line in the early half of 2009, with my fist wrapped tightly around a wad of cash. I plan to camp out in front of the stores where it will be announced, as do seekers of iPod, Nintendo, Playstation, and new Microsoft Operating Systems. I bought a tent and sleeping bag today.

fantastic!

- Opened, it looks like a Fuji 645 folder, supersized. I own one of those Fujis, and have to say that a metered, folding MF camera is a wonderful thing. Do wish it took filters more easily.. but that's a concession.

- Closed, the top deck more closely resembles the Voigt 35mm RFs.

it's a knob winder? kinda funny...

Amazing, isn't it, that a new MF film camera would be offered when digital has matured so much over the last five years or so? As a Voigtlander Bessa R3M and R3A owner, I'm excited to think I may have the opportunity to buy a similar quality MF rangefinder.

To go a bit off-topic, what would make someone develop a product with such a limited market? My guess is that the one-word answer is "globalization." Without the Internet and the ease with which information passes within specialized groups a product like this may never have been considered feasible.

Technology, making our world smaller and our lives better!

Chris Eastwood

Hello. Thank you for your illustrative post. I have a Bessa 6x9 with the coated 105mm lens that takes pictures that look more like the bottom and my Fuji 6x7 and 6x9 (both the same 90mm lens) take pictures more like the top one. The Fujis have much better/sharper detail. See my folder lens comparison "Medium Format folder lens resolution samples at 2900PPI " (with a few other cameras for reference) at:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=730969

If your computer shows four across, the Fuji 6x7 is second row, first column. The Bessa II is fourth row, first column.

Also, for a surprisingly sharp three element uncoated lens, click on the "Kodak Vigilante Six-20 on new Velvia 50" (second row, second column).

Tom

you're welcome. I looked at your segments and that backs up what people have told me about the Fuji rangefinders - that they're among the best optics in the 6x7 or 6x9 business.

The Fuji lens though is not what will be found in your rangefinder, it is a large format lens.

I have a Bessa I here which was a 'collectors' camera. It has little evidence of use on it (and the shutter is indeed gummed up and wildly inaccurate below 25th). It is however surprisingly firm structurally, with no play in the front stand. So, if the operation of the new devices is anywhere near as good as this camera then there is no reason why they wouldn't be able performers as long as the right optics are put into them.

I don't know much about optical design, but the 90mm lens on your Fuji might not be suitable to mounting on a folder.

The biggest 'negative' about my RF though (gosh another pun) is that the lens vignettes badly at anything less than f8. So if the new camera is capable of focusing accurately enough to cope with the DoF in that range then it'll probably be a "scorcher".<div>00R4B8-76023684.jpg.2615f5fde376f6e007c27fe4aedb69ec.jpg</div>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

<p>Hi all... been reading the forums here for a few months, and decided to sign up since I just saw that Adorama is now listing the Bessa III for $2249.99, with free shipping. I wonder if they actually have it in stock yet though. Seeing as how this thing is around 1650 quid in the UK, that is a really good price.<br>

Over the last few months, I've picked up a RZ67 Pro II kit, this past week a Hasselblad 501CM kit, and I am seriously tempted to get this as well. I definitely have the medium format sickness, the one that drains away all money from my wallet, but this is one fine looking piece of photographic gear, and I know it would get a lot of use (having a 1.75 year old kid will do that to ya). Has anyone else had a chance to play with one of these things to know if it is worth the steep asking price (albeit the cheapest among all the world currencies so far).</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I contacted Adorama Camera -- sales@adorama.com -- and got back a series of responses that seem to indicate that they neither have the camera nor sales staff with a decent command of English. Minus the "Dear Valued Customer" and the automatic signature from "Morris Abrams - Online Customer Service" the following is a cut and paste from the emails:</p>

<p> Adorama: sorry item not avail<br>

Me: When will you have it?<br>

Adorama: its become discontinued<br>

Me: It's a brand new camera that was only just released in Japan. <br /> Me: It is impossible for it to have become discontinued so quickly.<br>

Adorama: we dont show it in our database<br /> Adorama: perhaps we never got them in yet</p>

<p> At the same time I asked my nephew in Japan to start looking around for the camera. So far every shop he's contacted has told him "out of stock".</p>

<p> I have now written to Photo Village, the US East Coast distribution partner listed on the Voigtlander website and asked them if they know where the camera can be purchased.</p>

<p>-M</p>

• 2 months later...