24 Hours...

musings

I had been in Orlando for the last three days testifying in a trial, and unfortunately I had little time to shoot anything

while there (certainly not during the day when court was in session). On the last day, I decided to shoot a "day in

the life" of the hotel room plus a quick jaunt to Universals' City Walk. I shot the hotel room in B&W to match my

mood at the time -- restless and agitated. It was good to get out to City Walk and see something different for a

change, especially after it had finally stopped raining ("The Sunshine State" is a big misnomer for Florida...unless

they were referring to "liquid sunshine").

Everything was shot with the K10 either hand held or propped up on a wall if it was available.<div>00QxoN-73249584.jpg.f1a5120a780a2e0c814333ccdd8b305e.jpg</div>

@ Javier, Ben, Maria, Haig, Patrick, and Mis -- Thanks for the comments and feedback...much appreciated. The trial was long and tiring and I'm glad to be be home (only to hit the road again now for work...). *Dinner for one* is 'de rigueur', so I'm glad to hear others have joined the fashionable crowd by eating alone. Really leaves a lot to be desired, doesn't it?

HRC seems to be one of my favorite haunts lately while on the road. I never tire of them, mostly because we're all music buffs in the family and enjoy rock history. The memorabilia at each one is really good. Patrick -- please take a photo of your beer and shot glasses from HRC's when you have a chance.

"The Eye" was creepy in real life, too. I was waiting be overrun by Orcs when the beam swept by me.

There was one photo which I took but didn't post. It was a self-portrait I took after midnight when I couldn't sleep. I don't like taking my own photo, but I was in a foul mood and wanted to capture it since the camera was nearby. I might post the photo later, but I am not sure.

@ Mis -- I would like to rework the Close Encounters photo. Any suggestions on the PP (besides B&W)? Let me know your ideas and I will try them out.

Okay, and now for a brain teaser for those PhD types on sensor technologies. Taking photos of neon is tougher than I thought -- the colors don't always render true in the red spectrum. Notice in the HRC picture that the signs are an orange-red color but the cast across the water is a true red. Blue neon, on the other hand, does render true with the sensor (see "The Groove"). Adjustments in WB make little difference in getting the red neon back to accuracy. Red incandescent lights, however, do come out true, but not neon. I suspect that the light energy from the neon (as would argon and other inert gases) is extremely strong when emitting red, which has the longest wavelength of the visible spectrum, and causes the sensor to record it inaccurately relative to the other colors. I did find that deliberately underexposing some images at capture caused the red neon to be accurate, but when bringing up the exposure in PP, the neon became balanced but all of the other colors were skewed. Any comments, ideas, or experiment notes from the others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all...cheers, Jeff

Couldn't agree more, Abe -- Ravenswood is great. The one in the photo was a 1/2 bottle of Sonoma County (2007, I believe). I know most people are familiar with Ravenswood's Vintner's Blend, but their zins from Medocino and Sonoma Counties and Alexander River Valley are fantastic. If you ever get a chance to visit the winery in Sonoma, be sure to bring a few credit cards with you. They have some interesting varietals that you cannot find in the stores, but they would be happy to ship them to you. Cheers, Jeff

Oh yeah, got my edu-macation on zins while there in '96. Even went to a barbecue there one night.

I too am a fan of the single-vineyard varietals, though by nature they vary so much, and I get a nasty look from The Comptroller when I spend that much per bottle.

No longer a fan of the 'blend (getting snobby in my old age???), but we served 2.5 cases at our wedding 10 years ago!

I'm coming in late on this series Jeff but liked the work. The Eye is a very good shot and You might want to try

cropping out some of the foreground trees but I like the beam of light you captured and the angle of the light.

Remains and dinner for one are very good, Like Javier and being a sales rep, been there done that far too often.

My favourite is the first one. Love the intense blue of the neon lights. Good stuff!