S2

svante.johansson

"...the best professional photography system available..." (paraphrased from the interview)

I guess for pure image quality alone, this will probably be the ticket.... however, i do wonder if it's in an awkward position.... People who want fast and small but with good quality will pick the D3 or 1Ds3... those who want extreme resolution and image quality would probably just pick the H3D-II and a P45 back or something similar (considering the price).

I'm going to assume the MSRP for this thing will be astronomical, so i can't imagine that anyone would actually find a place for this in their bag, even in the mid-upper end of the professional market (much less advanced hobbyists of any kind). I'm sure some will, but will that number actually be large enough to make this whole venture of their's sustainable? Will the quality actually be worth the price it will sell for?

The danger for leica is if it fails to exceed the quality of other MF systems, and fails to exceed the speed of the 1D/D3 systems, it won't sell. There just arn't enough die hard leica fans out there with money to burn.

Time will tell I suppose... the above is just my own musings :) Reader beware...

<i>The danger for leica is if it fails to exceed the quality of other MF systems, and fails to exceed the speed

of the 1D/D3 systems, it won't sell. There just arn't enough die hard leica fans out there with money to burn.</i>

<p>The S2 doesn't necessarily have to exceed the quality of other MF systems because it's quite a bit smaller;

official measurements put it around the size of a Nikon D700. It doesn't need the speed of a 1D/D3, either,

because... the format is much larger, and it's designed for an entirely different market than pro sports

photographers.</p>

<p>The S2 is actually unique in its position, much like the M8 is. The problem is, and I've already touched on

this in related threads:</p>

<p>1) Nobody's seen a file from it yet, so image quality is still unknown.

<br>2) It's only a <a href="

target="_blank">prototype</a> at this

point (Leica's words, not mine), and isn't scheduled for release until summer 2009.</p>

<p>The S2 is an interesting and unique product, in view of today's marketplace. However, a lot of things can

happen between now and summer 2009, and what is interesting now may not be so interesting by then.</p>