What should I Charge for Lessons?

ted_springer

I charge the same as my hourly rate for photography. After all, if I wasn't giving the lesson, that's what I'd be doing instead. And it took an investment to get to the point where I could teach beginner photography. Also consider - are you going to put together any handout materials, or a web page with an overview of your course for the student to refer back to? Are you going to teach them on their camera, requiring you to possibly study-up on it a little? And some of it depends on who the student is, and what the "market will bear."

Photoshop lesson - to me that's a bit tougher. What will you be teaching - how to do basic photo adjustments, or more advanced pixel wranglin'?

I have a very active teaching (mentoring) program and base all services upon an hourly rate of $75. It has been

profitable for me. I do phone consultations about anything from business start up, shooting, sales, contracts, to

advance selections and liquification in Photoshop. I devise a loose syllabus and have a Resource Kit with all of the

teaching materials, including all of my business programs, policies, rates, contracts, etc. on paper and on disk. The

program is working out well, though I have to be careful about how many mentees I take on this time of year, when I'm

already swamped. It's been a great way to meet new people and develop a sense of community around photography. I

hope your teaching program works out -- if you're like me, you may be the one who benefits most from the effort you put

forth to help someone else. Good luck :)

Karen