Fashion/Promo company shoot

r. franks

Had a new promotional company want some photos done, I'm charging $40.00 per session, they're using the photos for flyers, and their

website (unwatermarked). I can't go back on the price, but was wondering, quality wise, what I should charge. My sessions typically take

two hours, I do not batch process any photos, but I've only got 2 years off and on experience. I include cds and copyright within the $40.00

and charge additional for travel over 15 miles, based on my quality from a photo I'm posting, what should I charge for my portrait sessions?

Craigslist is ruining pricing, a lot of people are offering free and real low prices (like me), but I'd like to do this full time. I don't have loads of

money to spend on advertising either, but want to do flyers locally. I live in VA, which is pretty populated and has tons of background for

outdoor shoots. I don't want to be too high, and get no business, but I don't want to practically work for free. I've been looking at $50-$150

and really don't know where to start. I've also got to consider the weather here, it'll snow one day, then be almost like summer the next, its

real unpredictable, but scheduling shoots I've sometimes got to just say we'll see what its like that day. I don't have a studio, but I'm really

anxious to make this happen, please let me know how much I should charge to really make this a living. I work full time during the week,

so right now I can only do weekend sessions. Thanks alot!

You have essentially two separate questions: one, how much can you charge and still get business, two, how much should you charge to be able to make a living. Your photos are okay but not remarkable--look at the Top Photos here to see remarkable work--so the answer to number one is to charge the scale in Craigslist--yes, not very much. The answer to number two depends on the lifestyle to which you propose to get accustomed; if it is greater than number one, I suggest you either look for a rich spouse or learn to produce remarkable work.