PCE -24 f3.5

sandeep_vengsarkar

I was wondering if there is still any use for the PCE -24 f3.5 and PCE 45 f2.8 lenses in respects to

architecture photography, especially if you can correct perspective as a post process in software.

Are there are aany positives to spending that AUS$2.5 grand. Please share your thoughts.

I was especially keen to see pictures and compare in lens photograph and a post effect in photoshop/etc.

Anybody got samples. nikon themselves don't have much info on the subject

I don't have samples - its all too expensive at the moment - but I do have a couple of thoughts -

1) Tilt allows you to control the plane of focus (which PS does not!)

2) Perspective control in PS involves loss of image area (unless you invent bits with clone) - with a PC lens what you see is what you get

I would love the 45mm PCE lens but for macro work where the plane of focus is probably more important.

sandeep,

If you are a working pro, what these folks are saying is true. If you are an amateur, or have only the occasional need for this

kind of photography, or have no need of large printed or heavily cropped images, I myself would never spend the money on

the lens. It could be money well spent.

Where I used to work we did some architectural photography and used a 28mm PC lens (the really old one) and I have to say

that the results we got from photoshop manipulation were most of the way there.

the "real" architectural photogs use larger formats anyway.

I do have the 24 pc-e and a 24-70. 1) quality is superb - my personal view is that it surpasses the 24-70 in the wide field. 2) manipulation of DOF, enables me to use the camera as a point and shoot at F8 using movements to get everything sharp that I want and with a decent shutter speed. I am a LF landscape shooter primarily and use the DX00 when I need a light walking kit with no tripod. Combination of 24 and 85 PCs gives me everything I need.

Attached piccie was taken at F8, hand held and is sharp front to back. 24 PC-E and D300. Cant be done with aperture alone.<div>00QtIy-71711584.jpg.1e190b85a80265be7819ddf4ac75deaa.jpg</div>

<i>Convergence correction in PS renders architecture looking to squat. </i>

<p>

There are several solutions to this issue. Perhaps the simplest method in principal is to use the perspective control transformation to stretch and squeeze symmetrically at the top and bottom, using the center marker of the frame edge as a guide. This keeps the original aspect ratio of the subject, the same as using a rising front camera. The downside is that you reduce the image area when you "squeeze" and must crop to straighten the borders.

"the "real" architectural photogs use larger formats anyway."

I'm pretty "real". One of my favorite architecture techniques is to use a multirow panorama head and stitch a few images. 9 shots off a D3 with the 14-24mm is a lot easier to set up than the view camera. And even with a 50% pixel loss due to overlaps, it's still 54mp. Even MF can't touch a 5x5, 150mp final, and it's hard to get that good looking result off 4x5 film.

Its seems to me PCE is the way to go, I'm shooting sets/ architecture for 3d extraction in image modeller.

Would it be safe to say the 24PCE would be a better choice to use than the PCE 45mm.

which one would be a worthy investment.

I've got D300 which I 'm going to upgrade to 700 mid next year.

Also a question to joseph. How do you find 14-24mm on a pano head.

Is it heavy lens and difficult to set up on a rig?