Lite Panels?

alisa_stieg

I don't use these, but I can tell you that LED lights are probably one of the waves of the future; if, for no other reason

than durability. Now that they're getting the light output up, we'll probably see more of these. I think I read in an add

recently that their light was a little "softer"; so we may not be seeing products yet with outputs as strong as most pro

strobes, but I think they're probably close; probably worth a try; probably in a few years, will become a standard option,

after a little improvements that follow those initial waves of consumer feedback.

When I was looking around for a strobe, I considered something like this, but didn't see any good stats in typical areas;

for example, was a given product capable of variable power (important to me); what kind of maximum operating distance

would I see out of it; arc of illumination; etc. That's not to say the info isn't there, but it didn't catch my eye, and I went

with a more standard studio strobe instead. J.

When this stuff becomes more common, then it'll be interesting to see...it's not flash lighting and therefore

could be interesting whith DSLR's becoming closer to video cameras. They say it takes a fraction of the power of

normal lights, but I want to know about how they rack up against flashes...

...I guess for now, I'm a happy man with my 'normal' flash setup, but if the price is right, I'd use anything once!

Hi Lisa -- I posted a similar question in the Lighting Forum a while back and most of the comments were lukewarm to cold on the whole LED lighting bit. The price is getting better and the power consumption is very good, but the biggest problems that I've read were that a) the light output is poor (low guide number equivalence for strobes), and b) the color cast by the LED was strange and unnatural. I think that (b) can be overcome with some of the filters supplied as well as some PP adjustments. If you get a Litepanel, please let us know what you think. Cheers, Jeff

No, the colour cast can't be fixed with filters. There are gaps in the spectrum produced by LEDs. Those LED panels would

be OK for news Videographers, but not anywhere where colour is important, and aren't a better solution than strobes for

stills or fluorescent lightbanks for video.