The Canon PowerShot S3 IS - Good enough Camera?

chazz911234

I used a S3IS for almost a year and it took great photos. If I remember correctly the zoom is the equivalent of 432 mm at the long end. So it's got a lot of zoom range. I usually shot in very fine mode, which makes for good sized files but the IQ is there if you want to print large size prints. I had no complaints about mine except I hated the menu system, just wasn't intuitive for me.

I went to a Nikon D60 because I wanted interchangeable lens and I liked the menu system much better. But the S3 takes great photos and it a very good learning tool. You can get an adapter that fits the front of the lens so you can use 58mm filters and that will let you do some creative things. Look for the Digital Concepts Lens Adapter, try amazon.com.

You'll hear this quite a lot on this forum, it's the photographer not the camera. The S3 IS has some limitations that might stop you from making certain images, but within its limits it can certainly make 'artistic' images and the quality will be nothing to be ashamed of either. The artistic input has to come from you though.